Re: Fitting A dump valve?

erm are you sure you want to weld it to the turbo housing ? do you really mean a dump valve or are you talking about an external wastegate ? if you really do mean dump valve why not to what everyone else does and use a T-piece to put it in the inlet tract ?

Where can I get a small pipe welded onto my turbo piping to allow me to fit > a dump valve? I can't weld ally, so what's the best option. > > tia > > Mike > >
Reply to
Mark Craft

wait till matt or Carl get on later, they are a wealth of knowlege :D

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ron.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Nah, Mike is right, He needs to weld one onto the inlet pipe, just before the charge enters the intercooler is a good place.

Matt will be able to better advise. But as it is an 8 valve, it has no dumo valve at all, so getting one on is a good thing.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Where is Matt? Ain't seen him around in ages :(

-- Chet

Chet

I think you'll find that the Cossies are fine because they don't use an air flow meter; air flow is determined by throttle postion, air temp, engine speed and manifold pressure. It assumes the amount of air from this. Anything with an air flow meter should have a recirc DV, recircing (?) to somewhere post AFM, otherwise the ECU gets confused, having already dispensed the fuel into the engine for the air you've just let out...

Don't know about the Saab and Integrale; are they AFM or not?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Howard

the cossie has one before the intercooler and you can fit one after teh intercooler but the bigger the intercooler, the more air you have to push through to get it to be workling as best as it can obviously you tweak teh turbo to be producing the peak boost AFTER teh intercoler

Reply to
dojj

See the saph should have been fine bit ;-)

I run at Atmo on an AFM car, but then Bosch Jetronic was never the smartest EFI ;-) and the box of light up jap electronics is quite happy feeding it a constant 'low flow' reading when you suddenly go from on boost - closed throttle.

Saabs run various guises of AFM, well early 9K and all C900's do later 9K's went over to Map sensors. Personaly I wouldn't go near an Integrale, its not that I wouldn't like to work on one, but I refuse to mod something that should be kept standard.

Reply to
**-**

What kinda of stupid idea is that ? All modern Turbo engines have them as standard. It was only very old designs that didn't.

What cars ? Most of them probably already had dump valves !

Noise ? The stock re-circ dumpvalve on my 620 TI makes ZERO noise.

Dramatically prolongs Turbo life, and reduces lag, buy keeping the Turbo spinning.

Reply to
Nom

I didn't think they were supposed to boost power, i thought they prolonged the life of the turbo and made for a smoother drive, thats how i understood it anyway...

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Dan405 waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

for me it made the thing undriveable, just dumped all the bloody boost and meant the car was laggy as hell.

Reply to
Pete M