Re: M-22 Transmission question....

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:06:42 -0600, RicSeyler wrote something wonderfully witty:

If your sitting still with the clutch in and you actually >hear the gears "grind", and the car doesn't creep, I gotta think >syncros. But if you feel the car try to creep forward when going >into first then it might be the clutch not completely disengaging. > >Put a half/turn or so in length on the rod at the bellhousing. >You can go as far as you like as long as there is still just a tiny >bit of slack when the pedal is in the complete UP position. > >You don't want any pressure on the throw out bearing when the >pedal is completely up. > >Cold weather will definitely cause it to be stiff going into first gear, >sometime pretty dang stiff, especially if you have the shorter Comp Plus >shifter and handle in it. But you shouldn't hear any "grind". >

Isn't this the Tranny that was lovingly referred to as the "Rock Crusher"?

>I have a 66 Stingray with 327/350 engine and manual transmission. I drive >>it every other week. When I start up, its hard to get it in gears and >>without a little grinding. When it warms up with a some driving, all is >>fine. I think tranny was rebuilt 12 years / 5000 miles ago. Any ideas? >>What tranny oil is good to change it too? >> >>thanks! >> >> >> >>
Reply to
ZombyWoof

Yup.

Reply to
Crabs

Isn't this the Tranny that was lovingly referred to as the "Rock Crusher"?

Yes, had one in my 68 GTO. Sounds normal for winter. He should let it run a bit to warm up before he puts it in gear. These days, I'm kind of partial to the Lucus brand of Synthetics for gear oils.

Reply to
Charlie

Yes, but if so, it's certainly not likely the original tranny. There were only 15 installed in '66 (and I would wager they went into racing Corvettes). For every year they were offered, they were always a super-low quantity factory installed item.

Additionally, the OP only mentioned grinding when starting cold - as I understand the M-22, it was noisy all the time, all temps, all weather, all day, all driving conditions... I also seem to recall reading that Chevy discouraged dealers from selling the trans to customers due to the noise - didn't want customers who couldn't live with the characteristics

- maybe was even a COPO (?) item (special order/approval only). Twern't called "rock crusher" fer nothin'. (BTW, "Rock Crusher" was the actual name Chevrolet used for the tranny).

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB ___

Barking Rats

Knew a guy who had that trans in a '70 454 Chevelle SS. The thing absolutely howled. I liked hearing it on the street as he'd go through the gears up or down, but live with it every day? I dunno, but I guess it's nice to know you can miss a shift and not end up with a whole lot of neutral.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Reply to
CardsFan

Yes, but if so, it's certainly not likely the original tranny. There were only 15 installed in '66 (and I would wager they went into racing Corvettes). For every year they were offered, they were always a super-low quantity factory installed item.

Additionally, the OP only mentioned grinding when starting cold - as I understand the M-22, it was noisy all the time, all temps, all weather, all day, all driving conditions... I also seem to recall reading that Chevy discouraged dealers from selling the trans to customers due to the noise - didn't want customers who couldn't live with the characteristics

- maybe was even a COPO (?) item (special order/approval only). Twern't called "rock crusher" fer nothin'. (BTW, "Rock Crusher" was the actual name Chevrolet used for the tranny).

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB ___

Yep, my neighbors used to tell me what time I got home at night. Between the built engine in my GTO and the Rock Crusher, their walls would vibrate when I pulled in. It was always a kick on the weekends, as soon as I'd lift the hood to start working on it, all the grown men would venture over to see what I was putting in that week. While they'd yell at me to slow down when they were with their wives, they all loved that car. For clarification, I never sped through neighborhoods, but as loud as it was, people always thought it was going faster than it was.

Reply to
Charlie

rent the video Two Lane Blacktop with James Taylor and Dennis Wilson. The '55 Chevy had a truly built 427 and a real Rock Crusher M22 tranny. The in-car shots are noisy from the howl of the transmission, which most probably think is a blower, however, there was no blower on the car.

almost everyone has a "Rocker Crusher" in their Corvettes, even those with the Borg Warner "rock crusher". Odds are he has the M20.

He could get grinding when trying to engage cold because the thick oil will turn the gears enough to make things grind not to mention the synchros are not slipping like they should to engage.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri