Re: 'My Weekend' by JackH

> Needs some paint next, and then I'll be getting a GTi disc rear beam and

> > some 206 GTi front brakes... :-) > > Sounds like fun, but why didnt you just buy a working GTi and strip it out? > Unless you got the above bits uber cheap sounds like a whole lot of hassle > when you're just building an essentially standard Pug GTi!

This was, ISTR, essentially a job to find a home for a motor from a written off GTI that was already owned, IYSWIM.

Reply to
SteveH

Not quite.

A written off Rallye that already had a 16v conversion.

And it wasn't a lot of hassle really - yes, collecting the new car was a bit of a bind given the distance, but then it's only done 67k from new, and came with 15" Compomotive MOs with new tyres...

Financially it made a lot of sense... check out the values of standard Rallyes these days - they're becoming quite sought after, and the 16v converted ones are worth that bit more as well, yet by the time I've cleared all the spares from the written off one, it'll owe me around a grand, MOT'ed and taxed for a year.

Apart from all that, there was the fact the running gear from the donor car has had a considerable amount of money spent on it in the recent past - new driveshafts, head gasket done just before it was totalled, and the head has been seriously reworked in the past - £700 worth of Kent cams, amongst other things... used to be in a track car, you see. :-)

*I* can see the point, is the point - each to their own and all that, but I think you'll find there are plenty of others out there who can see the point, and others who would if they had a drive of it. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

That makes a bit more sense then. I think. I'd like either a 106 GTi or the original Rallye at some point. Only been driven in a base model 1.1i S2

106, but hugely fun if you ignore the lack of immediate pace. Once you get up to speed it was hugely chuckable!
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Ah well... think of that but without the body roll, and with seats you don't fall out of when throwing it through bends, and with a load more power that it gets down no problem. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Slack bastard. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

'Rack off, you dag!'

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Nice bit of Aussieism. : )

Fraser

Ps Still no pics? ; )

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Heh, nevermind the handling, just watch out for other people texting on the approach to junctions!

(c;

Reply to
Douglas Payne

They are hugely pointable, the 1.3 106 Rallye I had for a day had a big grin factor...

But watch the back end, they're snappy... :)

Reply to
DervMan

He used to have the backend out at every opportunity on his little 1.1. Crazy

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Aye... it's the best handling car I've ever had by a long shot.

"Women, know your limits" ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Don't... if anyone does that to this one, they best ensure they come in through the drivers side, rather than the rear end.

Grrrrr!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH