Re: OT: To the PC buffs in here

What's the fastest chip I can put on the standard motherboard of a Dell

>Dimension 2400 (came with a Celeron as std) ? > >Will my P3 733MHz go straight in? > >Been given a pretty much empty case and quite fancy quickly transferring >everything across, just basically due to it having more USB ports, but don't >want to bugger anything in doing so.

Er, I'd be tempted to take it all outside and reverse the car over it and get something a bit less non standard. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Erm, they do... :)

Reply to
LordyUK

Didn't your incident with a kenwood car stereo teach you anything?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Pretty much, or a Celeron based on Pentium Blagh technology, or on the Blagh blagh core.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Isn't that Asus's budget "we clame to not know who they are" brand?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I'll second that. I've built budget computers for loads of people in my=20 spare time using ASRock boards and they've always been brilliant -=20 stable, no driver problems, well spec'ed for the price, etc.

Oh, and the fact they're made by Asustek's (it's their 'budget' brand)=20 is also a big plus when you're trying to sell them :)

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
LordyUK

Indeed it is. They're not /bad/ but represent good value for money.

Anyone who buys AMD based systems does so either because they're cheap, or because they're lying tothemselves that they're "better"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Pentiums are bought by snobs who are lying to themselves they havn't just paid over the odds :) AMD's are better for games.

Reply to
DanTXD
[...]

...or because they would rather spend the money saved on something more useful, like, say, an ALPINA B10 V8. :)

A(MD user)

Reply to
Alistair J Murray

Or they're gamers. AMD trounces Intel in every gaming benchmark. In addition to that Intels dual core CPUS have been trounced by AMDs.

Reply to
Conor

How can someone with such exquisite taste in motors have such s**te taste in processors?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

AMD's what?

Pentiums have better thermal protection making them better for DIY systems. Intel chipsets have the best thermal management making for quieter and more efficient PCs. Reliability wise I've never seen an Intel CPU fail in the field, had very few DOA and the only returns have been from abused units (bent / broken pins, thermal abuse) unlike AMD who have about a 3% failure rate. Current (LGA) Intel chips don't even have pins.

I have an AMD machine running as a media encoder - it's stable but not much is asked for it (runs at >40% utilisation ALL the time, more than the same apps running on my Intel Laptop). I am yet to be shown in real application usage that an AMD is a better CPU choice than an Intel, only that it is a cheaper one.

And I would also say that as most AMD machines are self builds on cheap motherboards with cheap PSUs that they are also less reliable than most Intel machines.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Benchmarks exist to be ignored. You've been on the Karoo CS server - the No1 player runs Intel (as does the no 21 player...), don't know the rest.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

21 now? Impressive. Better than the early days when that would be the number of deaths.
Reply to
Conor

:)

Mines a home brew, seems reliable, except the hard drive is fubared...

Ah the Intel AMD debate :) Will it ever end :) ?

Well, yea, when Intel people accept AMD's are better ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

Horses for courses.

I tend to build boxes for specific uses and users and it's quite rare for machines to be compute bound; i/o and internal bandwidth tend to be the limiting factors, so it often makes sense to spend less on a processor and more on disks and RAM.

I'm currently sat at a 2xPIII@600MHz machine running a 2.4.26 Linux kernel with non standard scheduling which makes a very responsive workstation/terminal as all the heavy computation takes place elsewhere...

I also actively lobby IBM to make 64bit PPC ThinkPads :)

Alistair J Murray

... per minute - lol

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

TBH I'd make the dell work again. They're very reliable IME, and the cooling on them is always surprisingly quiet. The heatsink on one my mum's just bought would be considered pretty flash by overclocking types, but it's running a big (90mm?) fan through ducting, which means it's very quiet for a modern system. OTOH, most AMD systems I've seen, even when people have tried to build a quiet machine, have been pretty noisy and filled with fans.

Reply to
doki

in news:7 snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, "Vamp" slurred :

Heh. Solder melts at 300+ C, depending on the type. The maximum junction temperature for silicon is 125C, and the case/lead temperature will be less than that. So no, it won't melt the solder by a long shot.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Just got a 19" Lcd after years of having a 50 kilo 21" CRT on my desk. It's great. You can move it about one handed without a hernia. I still don't think the picture is as good though.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston