Re: Road Trip Ring Report (LONG)

So, 2,600miles +, 28mpg, England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany,

> Austria, Lichenstein, Switzerland, Italy and Monaco. > > That's all :)

Sorry you're going to have to go back.

You appear to have missed out Le Mans and Reims.

Great write-up and pics :-)

Reply to
SteveH

Ta :-)

Obviously, home time arrival was 4am...

Reply to
DanB

I'm off there at end of August.

Reply to
Conor

that sounded like a well good trip always wanted to do one to the ring and back myself, tempted to do it with the BM, maybe do it before selling it shame you aint got any MR2's in your pics :( mind you i aint been through all 200+ yet!

Reply to
Vamp

There was no MR2s there :) In fact, there was precious little of anything that wasn't German heh!

Reply to
DanB

Tssk, no Luxembourg for cheap petrol? Well done Dan, that's a stonking drive, do it again next week?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I need to do something like that. Preferably in the MK2 with a 1.8T engine fitted :D.

Reply to
Doki

And aircon.

You wouldn't want to do it at this time of the year without.

Reply to
SteveH

I'll second that, and you wouldn't want to do it at any other time of the year without a 4x4. The mountain passes are closed even in April and blizzards still strike unexpectedly in November and April, even in May.

"Snowchains" my wife chants at me as we set off in spring/autumn.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'll 3rd the aircon bit, and add my mates as a 4th and 5th. The amount of times someone said "I'm so, SOOO glad we have aircon" couldn't even be counted. Without it I think you'd be in very real danger of physical problems from the heat, especially for that length of time in the car.

Reply to
DanB

I didn't think jelly babies could melt, but they did on the way back from Rome last summer. That was quite warm. OTOH we didn't actually die - you just need to keep the blower on full so your body can sweat heat away.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I've never had real problems in the Golf with heat. Perhaps because it's Daz white and the blowers in Golfs are very good.

Reply to
Doki

The outside temp, when stationary in Italy got to 40c once. I imagine you've never been in that in the Golf either. The blowers would just blow that hot air at you, and white wouldn't make enough difference to even be worth mentioning really.

Reply to
DanB

Ugh. I'd probably start swearing and sweating in a vicious feedback circle until I melted.

Reply to
Doki

I'm still shocked at that as I said else where when I went down to Le Mans we were saving over 20p/L on the cheapest I can find localy and over 25p on the prices down south (30p on the prices off the M40).

Brisk progress was made through France, then Belgium

Good, don't want to hang around there.

Sounds good, expensive?

Drinks for the car? Ah the Renault needed more oil, shouldn't have got a French car. ;)

Is slower than a Transit.

If your sat nav let's you avoid them you'll find the non toll road routs are almost as quick and just as well maintained.

Well enjoying it was the point so that's good news.

Reply to
Depresion

Hot air blowing past still cools you, so long as you keep drinking. You won't die, but it won't necessarily be pleasant :-)

Reply to
Clive George

We almost did, with my aircon on and maxed. And mine blows very, very cold and strong.

Reply to
DanB

Oh yea I know it helps a bit, but to add to the unpleasentness all your drinks would be warm as well heh! We had cans in the AC'd glovebox, which was nice hehe.

Reply to
DanB

Aye, was 1.65euro a litre iirc! Was a Shell station if that makes a difference.

You can see the standard tariffs there, a 3 bed apartment was 135euro a night (as opposed to 105 for a 3 bed room in the hotel). So it's not what you'd call expensive once split 3 ways - I'm sure there are cheaper places but I can't imagine much, and certainly not as close to the track. There was a like, halfway entrance here too, and the main entrance was about 4ks rounds some really nice roads.

Hehe :-) The guage still shows 6 out of 6 - so since it's service before we went, it hasn't used a readable amount :-p

We just wanted the quickest way, and didn't wanna risk going off route heh.

Too true :-)

Reply to
DanB

That's a bit of an understatement - moving air helps enormously if your body is trying to cool itself. Which, with no aircon, it'll be doing at a rate of gallons of sweat per hour :-)

Had one of those leccy coolboxes in the car, so that wasn't a problem :-)

Reply to
Clive George