Re: Rover turbo question.

> > Did the Rover 400 and Rover 600 Turbo share the same basic engine, and

> > could a Rover 600 turbo engine/ecu manifolds etc be transplanted in to a > > non turbo 400? > > > Oops, sorry wrong group my bad. > > followups set to the correct group. >

Originally posted to the Toyota group by mistake, anyone help?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

In short, yes. Very easy swap and results in a right sleeper of a car. :)

Quick search on "sww.rovertech.net" will dig up all you need to know.

Reply to
markocosic

Cheers Marko. I thought it was, but my mate was convinced that they had totally different engine mount positions.

Told him to look for a complete 800 turbo, pull the engine, get the belts done, give it a once over, and bolt the whole thing in, instead of just trying to low blow turbo an NA 400.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

In news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

*boggle*
Reply to
Pete M

From memory, the Honda engines work in "reverse" to the Rover engines - so if his is a Honda lump (are there any in the 400 ?) then it will all be backwards.

But the Rover Turbos are all the T16 lump (except for the odd wierdo early

800) - and as the 400 is available from the factory with the T16 Turbo (420 GSi Turbo), then he'll have no problem slotting one in from a 200/400/600/800. Depending on what engine he's got, he may or may not require a few more bits from a donor 200/400 ?
Reply to
Nom

You can get Honda engined 400s (416s, in 115 horse singe cam or 130 horse twincam specs)), but I don't think they ever made a 2.0 Honda engined 400. Think the "bubble" shaped 400s (current 45/ZS shape not the boxy earlier shape) had Rover engines only so you'll be fine.

Chappie rang me tody and has a T16 420 and a T16 turbo vitesse, so should juse be a case of finding radiator/intercooler and piepwork/fans from a 2.0 Turbo 200/400/Coupe and then nailing it all in.

Reply to
markocosic

Thanks guys. He's definatley looking for stuff now. He is ebaying like mad.

He did have a 200si that kept blowing things(headgaskets etc), unfortunatley he bought from YES car credit. Eventually they agreed to swap the car for a 400 (after he had cut a big double din sized hole in the dash for a screen).

Now he plans to turbo it. Was going to bolt a turbo to his standard engine in a low blow exercise. I explained the wisdom of just getting an engine, getting it checked and fitting it, then going for all the hassle of making an add on turbo to work without a tested kit of bits to work from.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

First thing he needs to do really, is track down a donor 400 Turbo. Then he can just swap across everything he needs, no messing around !

Reply to
Nom