Rechargeable Emergency Jumpstart and 12V Power Supply £29.99

Compared to what ?

Reply to
tony

Not, because it's a bag of s**te. I bought one, and words cannot describe how indescribably s**te it is. Money spent on one is money poured down the drain.

This OTOH *is* a bargain:

I know you're not going to believe me, but it's true, about £60 spent on this battery is money well spent. It works exactly as described, charge it and the charge will last for two years and still be capable of cold-cranking a diesel at the end of the two years.

How much do I trust it? I use it as the backup battery on a boat, where it's essential to have a battery ready to go in the event that the main battery fails. It's never let me down, and the one that you highlighted has, over and over again. The self-discharge on the one you gave a link to is horrible as is the build quality.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not in the UK site though

Reply to
BORG

It sounds as though you are *very* unlucky when it comes to batteries, your battery failed over and over?

Reply to
chippy

I brought an even cheaper one from Makro, £15+vat It still has a 17Ah battery, and its so bloody usefull. I do infact use it all the time (car shows and stuff) and It goes on all the long journeys with me etc..

Reply to
Ed

Aldi do one that looks a bit similar to the Maplin one but it is better. Has a compressor, 12v sockets, and starter charger. Had mine two years, inflated car tyres, started diesels and petrols, run various apps off the

12v cigar sockets and it was about £27 quid I think. Comes up around twice a year at the stores. All I do with mine is trickle charge it occasionally.
Reply to
Brownie

I use mine alot, as its portable power for me so it gets regular charges.

Reply to
Ed

No compressor dosen`t make it best value.

Typically 30 quid or less on ebay including postage, there is one on at moment with no compressor but 300W inverter for less than 30 BIN inclusive.

Some models only have a 12Ah battery rather than more common 17Ah, makes a differnce if your runnning accesories for a long period, wont make much difference to jump start ability.

Having recently aquired Aldi one myself , if it broke would have to get another one , they are that useful.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Not a criticism but I have noticed more and more folk using the word "brought" instead of "bought". Is it intentional on folks parts?

Reply to
ColdFeet

I was randomly watching QVC earlier and there was a power pack thingy on there. It had the jump start leads, light, compressor etc, but also had a built in 300w invertor so you could connect normal household appliances to it. Pretty useful I thought. It was just under £80 but was some random make I'd never heard of so wasnt gonna risk buying it.

Just looking for a similar one online now as it would be something useful to take on a summer road trip we're planning!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Aha, Halfords do one:

What do people think?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

BORG wrote in news:e1mr22502bami0sldeju9fbkgn54m3jioc@

4ax.com:

Advertised in todays Mirror:

rob b

£8 - £9 +vat in cash & carry - total rubbish.
Reply to
.

You make me wish I was entitled to get into a cash and carry - I can't even but the batteries (17AHr 12v deep discharge sealed lead acid) for that..

Sigh

But I have one of these "portable power source" things, with a shoulder strap and linked to my 12v cordless drill. "Never runs out" - well, almost.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

> What do people think? >

Shite :( bought one, jumped a car once fine..... charged it up and tried to jump it again (damn car) and it couldn't do it, they are ok IF the battery is perfectly healthy and only flat due to lights left on or so.

If you've got stranded somewhere because the car battery died standing in the cold it's not going to get you moving....

The compressors a bit pants too LOL

A saving grace, when we had a power cut in the house, I powered the cordless phones from the 240volt socket :)

Reply to
Tim Anderson

>> What do people think?>>

In cases like this you should leave it connected to the car for a couple of minutes first.. I have started landrover series II A's on Yauasa 12v

7Ah batteries before.

They ALL are!

I used a generator for that. Isolated the house from the grid and ran of a generator for 4 hours until it came back on. It worked so well that it totally spoiled the whole fun of the power cut in the first place. Oh well..

Reply to
Ed

Got the ebay number for that one ?

I need an inverter to power a X Box so that might do both jobs for me

Reply to
BORG

Blame it on their (my) education I say..

Reply to
Ed

If we're going to get really picky, what about the punctuation - "folks' parts".

Asleep in that grammar lesson?

Reply to
mikes