RX-8

Great car ! How are the people there are thinking off the RX-8 ?

Thanks !

Reply to
Hxxs

well if i could i'd rather have a wankel than a piston :)

Reply to
Vamp

No thanks, I have my heart set on the new Bentley Continental GT featured on Top Gear the other night.

Just need to win the lottery now, minor hitch.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

I like the RX8 looks very tasty on the telly ad.

Reply to
Theo

Yeah I saw one in the flesh at the Newbury show a couple of months ago.. very nice looking car, and sexy under the bonnet too. The rear half-doors open towards the rear of the car, which is kinda nifty :) Good performance on paper too, though thirsty.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

snip

The thirst is typical of the rotary engine.

I like them, but then I also like RX-7's. I'm daft like that ;-)

Reply to
Jamesy

Driven an RX7 - an amazing engine - all the revs, no vibration.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Passengered, but not driven. They have one at my step-brother's garage, he's brought it home a couple of times.

Reply to
Lordy

Thats not true. Oh, unless of course you let it run out coolant and it over heats - show me any car than can run without even coolant in. The nature of the engine is such that you have to check the coolant more often than most, but its only adding a bit of water. The engines themselves, are lovely, free revving things that relish being thrashed.

Tim will be along soon to sing their praises :)

Reply to
Dan405

I drove an old, actually I think it was ye olde RX7, and it had a rather strange funky noise, no torque until about 5,000 rpm the clock, and then it just went on and on and on.

I think it was an early 1980s model - it had an "econometer" on the dash! ;)

Reply to
DervMan

Would be better as a diesel.

Reply to
DervMan

Haven't Jaguar already done that?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Northstar V8 in various Cadillacs will run in reduced power without coolant.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Oh shut up :)

And defend the K series!

Reply to
Dan405

Yes! I'm working on Lotus now.

Reply to
DervMan

No.... I mean the oddly similar looking Jag with the V6 diesel, suicide doors, no pilllar and high centre tunnel that looks just like an RX8 but is "built on a shortened XJ chassis"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yeah, I love them - odd since I tend to hate torque-less motors.

There's a S2 Turbo for sale in Retro this month that I'm trying to talk the missus into buying for me Xmas ;-)

Reply to
Jamesy

Doesn't need defending. Best 1.4 four cyl engine in the world. 1.8VVC is unique in having variable valve duration, not just phasing or lift giving huge power band. Extremely low weight. Very effecient.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Are you inferring that Ford's platform sharing results in some remarkably similar 'related' cars due to their wide selection of marques (including Mazda...)

The Jaguar is rather bigger, I suspect. FWIW, if you're suggesting that the suicide doors aren't unique - you're right. Saturn did it on one side only on the SC2 ages ago.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Any Cadillac with a Northstar V8 - if it loses coolant it will run for another 50-100 miles by alternating the cylinders and 'air' cooling itself.

(Or of course, a Citroen 2CV-GSA, old Beetle, some old Fiats, loads of veteran cars...)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick