Mr Gibbs?

borrow you're other half's MX5 for a week or so and do a bit of modding mate!

;)

Reply to
Vamp

I just showed her, and her immediate reaction (when I explained what was happening) was WOW. Just need her to cough up some cash now :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Why? I beleive the Rover V8 is alloy and pretty light. MX5 is well sorted chassis. I think, aside from the obvious power on oversteer issues, which is a by product of a V8 and a light car, it would be fine.

Reply to
DanTXD

Bet it would handle like utter shit though!

Reply to
REMUS

lol get modding! :)

imagine the noise and the looks on boy racers faces everywhere at the lights hehe

Reply to
Vamp

"The engine and associated drivetrain mods fit nicely in the standard bodyshell. There's plenty of work required but it's mostly within the scope of an amateur with a garage with a pit & a hoist who has reasonable general metalworking and welding skills. And access to lathe miller etc (model room at work?..)"

So they'll fit in a standard bodyshell, for values of standard equal to standard + "the use of reasonable general metalworking and welding skills", then? :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Have you ever driven an MX5? Despite the image its a very very capable car. And adjustable suspension geometry is standard, which would be very useful. So the chassis could easily take the power.

In terms of the engine, the rover V8 is a light engine so it shouldnt upset the balance of the car too much. I reckon it'd be a great laugh!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

i'd love a V8 MX5 be class! they have a 50/50 weight distribuition so upsetting that a bit wouldn't be to bad. the torque would be fun for some drift action! always been tempted to sell the MR2 for a Turbo MK2 MX5 turbo.

200bhp+ in a car that's a lot lighter would be cool :)
Reply to
Vamp

A company here called Bullet Roadsters built some with a space frame chassis with the option of a triple rotor 20B twin turbo or a supercharged V8. They claimed a 0-100 in the 4 second range and a quarter mile of 12.1 seconds.

Fraser

PS I beat 3 of them at the drags in my GTR. Boy was I happy. : )

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

MMMM GTR :) that must be one bad mo fo of a GTR to beat a V8 powered MX5!

Reply to
Vamp

If you didn't stiffen the front springs up and uprate the shocks, then yes it would. But if you did, it would handle rather better.

If you can drive RWD, of course. ;)

Reply to
Questions

Surely a standard Skyline GTR would beat an V8 MX5?

Reply to
DanTXD

Surprisingly enough it wasn't. Induction, exhaust and boost mods. A bit of suspension work. Big tyres. All in all it wasn't that far off a standard one.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Yep. Even supercharged V8 MX5s. These ones:-

Fraser

PS though I have a sneaking suspicion they were driving them fairly gently.

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Here are the results so you don't think I'm full of shit.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Actually Vamp, this ones better

"when the roads a bit wet will spin them in 5th" :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Looking down the list of posters on that thread, I think I deliver shopping to one of stevieg's neighbours.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne