SAAB down

And had been mooted months and months ago.

This means if I want to buy something the Swedes designed, it now has to have Ford components.

Reply to
DervMan

They'd certainly like it to be - but usually fails. The X type Jag is a prime example.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

Most were deflector piston. Inlet port at back of cylinder, exhaust at front. To stop intake air exiting straight down exhaust the piston had big heavy offset lump to deflect the incoming charge upwards.

DKW perfected the modern Schnurle loop scavenge. Light, balanced, flat top piston, side transfer ports pointing rearwards and upwards.

The DWK RT125 was taken in war reparations by BSA in UK, Harley Davidson in USA and also continued in production at IFA (later MZ) in original GDR factory. BSA mirror imaged the whole engine to put gear shift on correct side and made the BSA Bantam. Harley made the Hummer. Under USA Japanese aid plan the Hummer design was given to Yamaha.

Then MZ used Schnurle loop with the Kadency expansion chamber to win

125cc GP's. Ernst Degner MZ's GP rider defected with all the know how, sold it to the Japanese and the rest was history. BSA and Harley looked down their noses at little 125cc bikes, didn't buy into the knowledge and thus handed the Japanese the market leading position they have to this day.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Prime requirement that for a car - getting you to the ski slopes. Must be why it was such a success. Despite being one of the ugliest cars ever made, and a disgrace to the Jaguar name.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A BMW fan has no sound footing from which to call other cars "ugly".

Reply to
Steve Firth

That'll be why so many now copy the Bangle look. But regardless of that, they can't beat the X type in the ugly stakes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Come on. Pre XJ40 Jags are in the main good looking. The XJ40 is alright by virtue of its low roofline. The X300 and X350 are good looking cars. The X, S and previous XJ are horrid. They're back on form with the new XJ and XF.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

With you so far.

A bit bland and dated, but basically OK.

Yup

? Previous XJ was the X350... (I'm with you on the S, and the X is just dull)

Ah. Now there I disagree. I don't much like the XF. Could be anything. Not seen the new XJ in the flesh, but I'm not expecting much.

Reply to
Adrian

Err yes, exactly (0) copy the Bangle look. However BMW continue to attract their core market of hair dressers and junior sales reps so it doesn't matter what their cars look like.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You didn't mention the XK which is still one of the best looking cars on the road. However I was commenting on BMWs which are vile, presumably Bangle's guide dog barked at the wrong moment as he was drawing them.

The X3/5/6 in particular are vomit inducing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Difficult to say. The XF is a lot better than the S-type, but most of the improvement is in the interior. However since that's the bit I look at most often I suppose that's the bit that really matters.

The new XJ is looking a bit odd around the arse.

All the XF needs is a front end redesign. Jaguar usually do better with the warmed over versions - the XK and S-type both looked better after a mild redesign part way through their life. The XJ350 also improved but for some reason they made a dog's breakfast of the XJR.

Reply to
Steve Firth

All that says is you know nothing about hairdressers and junior sales reps. Neither could afford a new BMW. Or likely any new car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As is every single vehicle in that class. They all look just plain stupid. Vehicles for posers only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Original XJ - yes, although it's starting to look a bit dated and bland. Current XJ - no. It's got a fat arse.

Reply to
Adrian

Got confused on my Jag models. The X350 is the ally XJ, and yes, it's horrible. Looks like an X300/308 in a hall of mirrors. Just doensn't work proportion wise.

Reply to
Doki

I suggest you take a look at what the hairdressers go home in. MX5, BMW Z something, Audi TT. It used to be pink Suzuki Vitaras but nowadays they go for the BMW.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Steve Firth

At least some hairdressers have taste.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Mmm. I think it's bloody gorgeous, although the bling on the R is a little too factory-chavved.

Reply to
Adrian

%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

YJWIM.