skoda octavia

Yes, you drive a Ka and the highway code (145) says drivers of slow vehicles should pull over and let the queue behind pass. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

No, its just that Rallying became popular, other manufacturers realised it was good publicity and invested more than 50p. Group B was born, Audi/Pug/Toyota/Ford all dominated at some time, hell even Citroen have managed to win a few now. Since it became big, every Skoda has been a crock of s**te.

Reply to
DanTXD

I dunno, do you think in everyday work you'd actually notice the difference? I'm not convinced 15bhp, especially in summet with a narrow powerband like a TD would be that noticeable.

Reply to
DanTXD

Only if they're doing sub 10mph isn't it? Oh, as you were :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

You have much to learn.

Skoda utterly dominated their capacity class in Group B.

It's the kind of dominance the rest could only dream of.

Reply to
SteveH

Actually the 130 is alot more gutsy, but does have a narrower power band, as it uses a bigger turbo which takes alittle longer to come onsong compared to the small lower blow 115.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The higher up the power range, the more compromised the power delivery. The

110 felt like it had a much broader torque curve than the 115...
Reply to
DervMan

Heh. I guess if it were being pushed by a few joggers that might happen!

Reply to
DervMan

->

->> I am looking at buying a skoda octavia 1.9 tdi. does any body have any

->> information with regards to what the tdi and the redi i difference is?

->> i am looking at the elegance but what bhp does each model have.

->

->all silver TDI - 90bhp

->Red I - 110bhp

->RED DI- 115 or 130 bhp Pumpe Duse. Not sure how to tell which though.

All red 150 BHP.

Reply to
Geoff

We're talking about an Octavia / Passat- none were ever 150.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

->> ->> information with regards to what the tdi and the redi i difference is?

->> ->> i am looking at the elegance but what bhp does each model have.

->> ->

->> ->all silver TDI - 90bhp

->> ->Red I - 110bhp

->> ->RED DI- 115 or 130 bhp Pumpe Duse. Not sure how to tell which though.

->>

->> All red 150 BHP.

->

->We're talking about an Octavia / Passat- none were ever 150.

->

I was just filling in the missing combination.

The Octavia is based on a stretched Golf platform not the Passats.

My Passat has more then 150bhp ;-)

Reply to
Geoff

And Skoda won every Group B event it entered, in the 130LR, until Group B waqs banned, then it entered the Favorit and Felicia Kit cars were very successful in both cars. Then the Octavia came along under completley german control, it all went to Schnitzel.

Little bit of histroy for you.

second link explains how it all went wrong with the Octavia.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

They will one day learn some history. But by then it will be too late.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Um, well it doesn't. The PD system improved the torque spread significantly. The 115 produces 200+nm from 1400-4000rpm, compared with

2000-4000 for the 110, plus the torque curve is flatter between those points. The PD system made a big difference.
Reply to
Albert T Cone

It makes a *huge* difference, at least subjectively. Peak in-gear acceleration, which is what you tend to notice, is over 20% higher in the 130. The torque curve is a lot peakier in the 130, but it's quicker than the

115 except below 1600rpm, and it revs happily to 5000rpm.

FWIW the VW PD lumps have a wider powerband than the ford TDCi lump you drove.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yes, I realise this (I just didn't write it). Although power was only increased by a little bit, there's stacks more torque from the 115 PS engine. But it didn't always feel that way. Strange.

After spending a long time with our TDI 90 on the fleet, and spending a little time with the Golf TDI 110, it felt like a bigger version of the TDI

90 (heh). The TDI 115 was a Passat as I recall, only slightly heavier (bad, bad on the Golf).

Anyway the TDI 130 was noisier and rougher than the previous donks, but went so much better...

I found the ride too hard on the Golf GTTDI heh to comment on the performance. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Err no, the variable vane turbo made most of the difference to torque spread on the PD 115- the PD system just helps.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Um. But the 110 have the variable geometry turbo too. Didn't it?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

a little late replying - but... class.

Reply to
JohnR

Part of me thinks it did, part of me thinks it didn't. Thing is, I lost interest in the TDI for a few years because it only ended up in s**te handling cars. It so badly needed a better home.

Now that it has some, well the 110 isn't in use any more (I think)...

Reply to
DervMan