Octavia rear suspension

Hi everyone

One of our cars - a 2003 Skoda Octavia Classic Estate (old shape, 1.9 SDI diesel) developed a loud metalic clanking sound whilst driving normally yesterday. A quick look under the vehicle in the light today has revealed that something has dropped down to the bottom of the near- side rear spring assembly on the suspension which clearly should be held above it. Sorry to be vague but I am not able to jack the car up at the moment.

Is this a knackered shock absorber or has anyone any idea what may have come adrift in this position?

The car is coming up for its 60k service, which is a big one on this engine (cambelt change as I understand it) and I am looking for an idea of a reasonable cost for this service together with the shock absorber (?) replacement.

Any help much appreciated. The vehicle has FSH and is in otherwise perfect condition.

EvB

Reply to
EvB

Just for info, I took the car to the local Budget today. The top of the rear offside spring had sheared through so that the uppermost coils had fallen to the bottom of the spring assembly. The mechanic reckoned it had been caused by a bad pothole and corrosion which is not as bad as it sounds - Highland roads are something different and this vehicle goes to the Islands quite a lot as well. Replacement was =A349.50 including parts and labour.

EvB

Reply to
EvB