Summer / Winter Tyres?

That's interesting because last time I took the A2 via the Gotthard tunnel, they were tearing up the road (again) and seemed to be removing the surface that had been put in to gove more grip in winter. I'm not sure what is in the compound on that road, it looks like broken glass.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's the other way around. People with studded tyres point and laugh at people struggling to put chains on.

For what it's worth, when I was planning the Arctic Circle trip, I dismissed chains as the first choice early on. They're noisy, uncomfortable and occasionally snap, making both a mess and causing you real issues if you don't have a limited slip differential.

But they are easier to carry than a set of four tyres.

Reply to
DervMan

You can drive a lot faster with studded tyres than chains. That said, studded tyres seem to mostly illegal around the alps because they damage the road surface if there's no snow.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Giggle! You ever used tyre chains? Over here, you don't have the choice - AFAIK studs are illegal. But in a place where there's snow and ice on the roads for several months of the year, studs are the way forwards - literally :-)

(that said, when it gets really hairy, chains win again. That's why the tractors at the ski resorts have them - and they're really serious sets :-) )

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

i always thought people used tyre chains rather than mess about with studded tyres

Reply to
Vamp

Thats your choice! I have no problem with them.

Reply to
Burgerman

Doesn't even in the wilds of Yorkshire IME. Bit disappointing really :-(

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

nope never used studded tyres or chains and yeah i'm one of the 'idiots' that uses summer tyres all year. just doesn't get cold enough in essex to need them i find.

Reply to
Vamp

Depends. If you are likely to get 6 months of not seeing tarmac, and a legal need to change tyres anyway, why piss about with chains.

Reply to
Elder