Superchargers

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworldspam.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I Seem to Recall.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yep guess right Rover Meteor Mk III 650 HP @ 3000 RPM producing 1250 Lb's foot of torque @ 1500 RPM

5:1 CR running on ordinary unleaded fuel so some help would be much appreciated in the lines of where to get one from in the UK or someone to speak to with regards to my set up ?

Rich

Going in a model Tee ford, need a blower to sit on top !!!!!

I've been crawling for years and now want to sprint :))))))))

What is ISTR ? as above.

Reply to
Rich

If you search for "Rover Meteor" on Google you get some tractor pulling websites, they might be a good place to start for information on supercharging this particular engine. Most seem to use a 14.71 blower from

forabout $2700, good time to buy now with the current exchange rate. I can'tthink of anywhere in the UK that you would be able to get a superchargerthis size from but it may be worth going to Santa Pod when the proper dragcars are there and asking around.

Reply to
Homer

Are you sure you can run that thing on unleaded? I seem to remember the introduction of leaded petrol was to increase the octane rating of fuel so that it would run aero engines properly.

Reply to
Doki

Reply to
Rich

The fuel is ordinary unleaded with Castrol Valve Master The max RPM for the engine is 3000 is this info any more of a help Rich

Reply to
Rich

Don't tell me you've now build a time machine? Rover Meteor engine's about 27000cc, probably from a Centurion Tank.

Reply to
Homer

What cc is it? Why is compression so low??? You should be able to use lots of boost! Super Unleaded is just the same (close enough) octane as 4* If it has a shit combustion chamber and NEEDS to run low compression (5 to

1????????? my god I am surprised it goes at all) then I suspect its for a reason. It should run OK on paraffin!

OK let me guess, it has LOTS of ignition advance??????? (Max)

What cc is it?

Reply to
Burgerman

So it could run on just about any shit fuel you could scrounge on a battlefield.

Peter Hill

Merlin had one or two centrifugal superchargers and some had two speed gears for cruise and wep (War Emergency Power). They are not positive displacement but as they are driven by the crank though a gear and not by a exhaust turbine they are a supercharger and not a turbocharger. When they had two stage compressors they had an intercooler and an aftercooler. What the automotive world calls an intercooler is correctly an aftercooler as it is after the compressor. An intercooler cools air in between compressor stages.

I think he needs to look at Corky Bell's book

A Graham Bell's Forced induction

Peter Hill

FWIW, tank engines are filled by squaddies and sometimes are ordered to advance, capture enemy fuel depots and refuel from all sorts of places. As such, it's a good idea to have them able to run on petrol, diesel, vegetable oil and squaddie piss as far as humanly possible.

The landrover isn't all that much different, hence the 8.3 compression on the v8 that otherwise could be run at 10.5

Reply to
Questions

or

of worms - what every PC owner gets!

But he is talking about a wade "blower" style one like in mad max or the dragstrip...?

Reply to
Burgerman

The cc is 27,000 or 27 litres The compression is so low because it was designed to be multi fuel to a certain extent, as far as a petrol engine is concerned. As it was based on the Merlin version as fitted to the Spitfires etc it was de-tuned to 650 HP for use in the Cromwell tank, and after that it went on to be used in various other tanks up until the diesel took over.

I would think the combustion chambers are very good as these are the same as the Merlin engine and after fuel injection etc in the later ones were pushing 2500 HP. The cylinders are about 5 3/4 inches in diameter and have four valves per cylinder with two spark plugs opposite each other in the cylinder heads each running off separate magnetos with a slight delay in firing so one plug fires and then after that the other one fires. The inlet and exhaust ports in the cylinder heads have two valves to each so if you get a 3 inch dia tube and squash it to about 2 inches in height at the middle you can get some idea how big the ports are !!!!!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Then to run at about 1 bar boost, would be no problem with pump fuel and such low compression. So you need to feed 27 litres of air per rev into it since it breathes about half that now, or less. Now...

This means running a 1 litre capacity blower at 27x crankshaft speed... So that will not work... So you need the BIGGEST you can find (around 7 litres???) and turn it at 4x engine speed.

4x 3000 is not too extreme for a blower?

Or use two at 2x engine speed...

Then you might want some nitrous.

You COULD just fit a couple of truck, or a train turbo or two though???

Reply to
Burgerman

Burgerman - you're posting in the future - you're as bad as that astravanman!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That sounds great, you mention 1 bar so that's about 15 psi what sort of power increase would that give? should it be about double what I have now i.e. 650 HP now will be 1300 HP :))))) If I was to run 2 superchargers could I run one out of the back of the front one i.e. one behind the other ?? or would they have to go side by side ? You mention a 7 litre supercharger is this referring to 7 litres capacity per rev of the supercharger ? so at max engine revs of 3000 this will mean the supercharger is spinning at 12000 rpm, isn't this a bit fast or is that the sort of rev's other ones run at ? Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rough guestimate but yes.

Maybe, but would need some mods/machining...

In top fuel they turn them this fast! But not for long usually... But they make 5000 bhp... for 4 secs tops.

Reply to
Burgerman

You do realise that this is the same as a couple of turbo bike engines do, and I could almost carry one under each arm????????

Reply to
Burgerman

That maybe but I haven't got a couple of turbo bike engines, and I have got the Meteor and there is no compromise for cubic inches at the end of the day, and its a really large engine would look great in a model Tee.

Reply to
Rich

My clocks right?

How can I be?