Superchips

Hmm.

Well, although it's not considered especially useful on a relatively small engine, it's worked well enough on our Ka. The headline improvement is a shocking 3 PS, yes a whole three German horses, and 5 Nm of torque.

However, it flattens the torque curve, and post chipping the engine now produces >100% of original torque from 2,000 rpm to 4,500 rpm, with a gentle peak at 3,100 rpm. Across some parts of the rev range there's over 105 improvement in torque, which you feel.

The improved torque makes for improved flexibility, which translates into reduced fuel consumption and easier hill climbing.

Cue rant from Steve H about fuel consumption, torque, or something of this nature, heh.

Reply to
DervMan

No not yet! I'm still at the "acquiring a new gearbox" stage.

Isn't it geared to approximately 20 mph / 1,000 rpm?

In terms of "improved feel," for the money and for the 1.3 Endura-E, nothing comes close really. Induction kits and exhausts don't make any material difference. Camshafts and manifolds are as expensive as the chip but shunt the power further up the rev range. The chip improves low down poke whereas t'other modifications improve upper rev range poke...

Reply to
DervMan

Does it have a tacho? If so, if you're cruising at 60 and the donk's churning over at 3,000 rpm, this is approximately 20 mph / 1,000 rpm.

If this is what you need, then you are probably going to be better suited to a bigger engine.

That sweet 1.4 litre K-series is a lovely piece of kit, and the reason why Ford considered buying Rover :) but if you want torque, the 1.6 or 1.8 is a better bet. These K-series donks are all the same size, but changing the car is going to be easier I'm afraid. Revised camshafts, manifolds and a unique ECU code will go so much, but will probably improve output rather more over 4,000 rpm than under it.

Shorter gearing is great for a engine with lots of top end poke, 'cos it'll be easier to keep the donk on the boil. Taller gearing might not be so suitable, although you'll have the advantage of quieter, more economical gearing in conjunction with the ability to drop down a ratio or three for better acceleration.

Reply to
DervMan

Just read your site; very interesting. Have you changed the gearbox yet? I've been thinking about changing the Rover's as 1st feels too short and when I'm in 5th it feels as though I need to change up again. Thing is I don't know if any pre -95 200 series had different gearboxes.

As for the superchip, well I'm still undecided as yet. I may get the car lowered first and think about the chip in the future. I'd also like to see what performance I'm getting from the mods I've already made first.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

I don't know. Where would I find that info? Just checked my Haynes but it doesn't mention ratios. I would have thought that the 216 or 220 might have different boxes with longer gears but I'm not sure.

Hmmm, it's tempting, as "low down poke" is what I'd like. Thanks. I'll have to go and think about it now!

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

Read the other replies to your post !

Superchips on NA cars are a waste of time.

It may well have had a nice effect on Dervy's Ka - but it's a Ford Ka, not a Rover 214 !

If you have money to throw away, then give it to me :)

If you want more power, then you want a bigger engine - it's that simple. Sell your 214, and buy a 216/218/220/220T.

Spending lots of money on your 1.4, giving it LESS power than the 2.0 has as standard, and massively increasing your insurance premium, is just MADNESS ! What's more, you get better brakes/suspension/higherspec/etc.etc. all thrown in for free with the 220 !

Reply to
Nom

But you don't have a 1.3 Endura-E !!!

Reply to