Is LPG a waste of time?

Hello,

A car that can do 30mpg in the town seems to do the equivalent of 20mpg running on LPG. Based on fuel consumption. The savings on LPG don't appear to be that good when you consider the small reduction in cost compared to petrol, poor performance etc. If it had been like for like then I could have seen the advantage, but not now! What you gain in the lower cost of LPG you lose as you need more. Some local garages in my area have now removed their LPG pumps.

Reply to
Ian

LPG is about half the price of petrol, but on your figures, only a 33% increase in fuel consumption. This leaves around a 17% saving, which is quite healthy!

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

For now. The Government are "going to increase the duty on it, in line with its environmental impact".

Translation : Now LPG is "common", they're hiking the tax up to make it almost as expensive as petrol.

Glad I didn't bother. 25k miles/year to less than 10, and now the duty's going up!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

It'll get more expensive as it becomes more popular in any case. LPG is not deliberately made at most refineries, it's just a by-product of making other stuff, so there's a finite supply of it.

Reply to
Robert R News

It wasn't a waste of time but it will be soon.

The tax is going up and will match petrol in a few years.

I haven't seen anything about the Powershift conversion grant but I am sure this will go.

I suspect there will be a benefit for a further year at the most.

Reply to
Alan

In the USA price is driven by market forces with comparable per volume road tax LPG is more expensive than Petrol.

Peter Hill

The tax will go up. But it will rise slowly. No government could withstand a backlash from the public if they were to increase LPG prices by 100% to match petrol overnight. The tax has also been frozen by Gordon Brown for the time being. There are other benefits from LPG too. Engines last twice as long. Spark plugs last 3 times as long. Oil lasts longer in the engine. The car runs quieter and smoother. Exhausts last longer. No need for a catalytic converter, hence better performance (to match that of petrol) and no expensive replacements ( I had mine chopped off 2 years ago now!). Longer driving range (600 miles in my Scorpio 2.9 v6 without filling up.). No nasty MOT failures for emissions. One other thing to remember.......if LPG duty rises it will only affect gas being used for road use i.e. those nice big red bottles of Propane (exactly the same as LPG) will remain the same (approx. 25p per litre!!!! a quarter that of petrol!!!). Sure....it's illegal...but unlike red diesel it's untraceable so you'll never be caught at it. Bet you never realised that! Sure....you lose a bit of boot space with the tank.....just leave wifey at home. Problem solved! LPG for life!

Jamie (Scorpio 2.9 v6....140mph, 50 miles per gallon....yes sireeee!)

Reply to
<the

You're having a laugh. Something like 30million people in the UK hold driving licences. About 6 have LPG conversions.

Reply to
Doki

Yeah but in the USA its like $1.60/gal for unleaded.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

I know one....that makes 7 people.... :) sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Except for the fact you've got a propane tank rattling around in the boot ;-)

Your best bet may be to get an LPG heating system installed, and fit a remote filling nozzle somewhere discreet.

Fill it up at bulk heating prices & then run your car off it.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I know a bloke with a converted campervan so that's 7½...

Reply to
Tom Burton

Is that the same one that's two doors up from me? Or is that 8½?

There was a BIG noise made a few months back that the UK LPG fleet had hit 100K vehicles. Big deal.

2001 figures. Country Consumption Number of Number of '000 tonnes vehicles Dispensing x 1000 Sites Belgium 97 90 507 France 210 210 1800 Italy 1394 1250 2000 Netherlands 521 315 2400 Poland 800 590 1000 United Kingdom 51 60 1000 Others 207 303 846 Total Europe 3279 2819 9553

So UK cars consumed less LPG per vehicle than anywhere else. 1700L cf Europe average 2326L Either we drove less miles and/or the UK LPG fleet is on cars instead of trucks and vans. On average UK LPG sites supplied far far less LPG per site than anywhere else 102000L cf

686485L euro avg. Based on total Europe figures UK should only have 150 LPG sites. Don't see how they stay in business on sales 1/7th of those at a European site and 1/5th the number of customers.

Peter Hill

that's depends if you live 6 doors up from where I work!

Reply to
Tom Burton

The clinic [1] closed down two weeks ago do you work at a hotel?

[1] The one that Tosh Lyons drank himself to death at. Also near the lake that Lord Mosley taught his son to swim in, by taking him out in a rowing boat every Sunday after church and thowing him in. It's nice here, honest, picture postcard stuff. Brook, babbling wiers, deep ford that makes it effectively a cul de sac, grass banks, trees, white painted cottages, expensive hotel (someone has to pay for that XK8).

Peter Hill