tempting lpg car

not bad millege, maybe a bit HFM but the lpg could make it a comfortable run about. dunno what fords are like on 100k+ though

Vamp

Dunno how much they're meant to be, but I've always quite liked them looked wise, same with the newer ST220. Well specced too, and looks tidy enough, but £3.5k just feels like a lot for an 'X' plate aged Mondeo, what's that,

2000?

But I do hate people who don't fill in the 'mileage' space when doing the ad. I did one of these ads like 2 weeks ago for the Clio, you can't accidently miss the box ffs. They same to think by making it less obvious it makes people think it's lower or something? Why not just put it where it should be ffs! And it's 'benefit' not 'benifit' ffs. Anyway, rant over hehe :-)

Reply to
DanB

That's a shit load of money for a MkII.

Reckon it's worth half that, at best.

Reply to
SteveH

Well it'll carry a premium for being the rare one, but looking at the others on Autotrader, dunno how much premium lpg system gives it either but I reckon it should be advertised around £3k, expect to pay £2.5kish. Sounds like a bargain commuter barge, I'd just be a little worried it might have got to that mileage where things are all worn out and all appear together...

Reply to
DanB

Too small for me.

Reply to
Elder

The seller's not crack hot at maths. Saves him £35 on each fillup, but it only does 250 miles instead of 300.....

Reply to
AstraVanMann

And it appears I'm not crack hot at reading. 300 vs 250 wasn't petrol vs lpg at all. D'oh.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Zip.

Some people really want LPG, some really really don't want to touch it with a barge pole. End result - it has a sortova neutral impact on value, but the market for the car is a bit smaller.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Fine. Had a MK1 well over 100k and drove like new. Not had a MK2 but my MK3 is on 114,000 and drives like new.

As always, it's down to maintenance.

Reply to
Conor

My theory is that people that are into cars don't want something like a 1.8 Vectra DualFuel, they want something with a bit of poke, with LPG there just to bring the running costs down to something sensible, rather than a LPG BlandRepMobile with "a bit cheaper than diesel" running costs, so there might be a bit more of a premium on decent condition V8 Rangies and Barges (and anything that's perceived better quality and less likely to give trouble, but with fuel costs enough to put people off normally - think old BMW/Merc/Lexus barges), and it might make well-cared-for cheaper cars (i.e. sub-£1k) sell better, but the mid-range stuff is stuck in a rut where they're not new enough to be considered potentially trouble-free enough for people to take a punt on, but they're not cheap enough to be able to bin if something expensive does go, so the age/price range means that people in the "wouldn't touch it with yours" camp are less likely to bother with it, and the people that do really want LPG won't touch them 'cos it's not something they'd have wanted anyway.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

My Dad had a 1.8 Mk1 from nearly new (well about 2 years old/30k or so) and that had about 120-130k on and had been spot on from new. Would have happily kept it another 5-10 years but someone smacked into the back of it and wrote it off.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Actually works out at 8.3 -10 miles on a £1's worth of gas. Cheap motoring in my book. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That and sensible use of the loud pedal. I've found that cars that are driven by someone who drives like my granny and never revs it above 2.5K while covering just 3K a year are as s**te and unreliable as the high-miler repmobiles that have had the arse ragged off them.

Cars that get driven with occasional bouts of hard use seem to thrive on it and can reach high miles without effort. I can recall back in the dark ages my lab tech. had a new Capri 2.8i she drove it even more slowly than my granny. She was horrified when she took it for a service and was told that she should get it on the motorway and drive at 70+ for a few hours or risk needing serious work on the engine if she kept limping around town.

Reply to
Steve Firth

yeah winds me up too you just know it's over 100k if they don't put it!

Reply to
Vamp

As I mentioned elsewhere I, used to have well it was mum's technically heh, a Triumph Acclaim that had never been in 5th as far as we could tell. The old dear used it to tootle to the cemetary once a week on sundays to visit her husbands grave, and that was it. I dunno if they owned it whilst he was alive and drove further, but mum's boss (it was his mum's car) said that was all she did with it. Anyway, mum said driving it home (I think it was somewhere down Lincoln way) was 'interesting' as the change from 4th to 5th was incredibly stiff, to the point where she gave up on some attempts and just stayed in 4th for a bit. Also, it didn't want to rev over 2.5k heh! It hit like, a lumpy bit and then revved up kinda slowly. We had it serviced straight away, and the mechanic said mechanically it was ok, although the tyres might be very old, and recommended changing them. But mum, in her infinite wisdom decided that was a waste, so he told her that if they start cracking up quite quickly from the extra speed/distance the car was doing, please, please get them changed. It took about two days. And driving behind it, the car was noticably 'limping' from a very egg shaped rear tyre. So we had them changed - and our mechanic couldn't be certain, but he said he wouldn't bet against them being the originals at 16 years old...

Reply to
DanB

Feck.

I got offered a Citroen BX GTi five ears ago with 100 miles on the clock. I was so tempted, but also scared to take on a car where possibly every rubber component would have perished.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I want to move to rural Hampshire now. It sounds intriguing - living in a world where an ear is a unit of time.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

It is in Wales also.

OTOH you do tend to develop fat fingers in Hampshire as well as an inability to remember WTF the keys are on a keyboard.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Don't know if that's nique to Hampshire, we get that in Berkshire toop.

Reply to
AstraVanMann