LPG scooby?

didn't know you could LPG a scooby didn't think turbo engines liked it?

Vamp

Done properly with a decent mulitpoint injector setup, and switchable=20 ecu maps, a turbo car should absolutley fly on LPG.

More costly to get a turbo car working but no biggy tech wise. And because of the higher octane you can run higher boost and more=20 advance, just need to have a map for petrol and a map for LPG. Al that=20 would be needed would be a magic controller that would tell the ECU to=20 switch maps, or an intelligent ECU that could read lack of knock and=20 raise boost and advance based knock levels.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

I know... can you guess what my next plan is?

I'm on the way to go and see Rick in an hour or so, just if you're passing. I'll be in the Strange Rover :-)

Reply to
Pete M

I bet you used to cane the Fiat everywhere, though.... it's one of those engines.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm not exactly gentle with the Toyota, and all those extra town miles=20 (30 of them in one day between the office and the data centre which I=20 will get some back as expense) whacked the average right down.

I was surprised myself. As I won't normally get close the doing those 70=20 extra most weeks, the total fuel used should be pretty affordable.

And I've found a Toyota Indie in Glossop who does the cambelts for a=20 decent labour charge and you hunt down the parts, so about =A360 for the=20 cambelt and tensioner and about a third of the labour costs. Auxiliary=20 belt is in good nick too, so that won't need doing, and he gives a gives=20 courtesy car, and he does it through the books not back handers for=20 cash. Well known through Lexus owners club UK and well recomended.

I'm going to ring him for an uptodate quote in the next couple of=20 months.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

Gutless??

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

It revs smoothly all the way to deep in the red.

So you spend a lot of time at the top end of the rev counter.

Reply to
SteveH

Ahh. So it makes no torque in the bottom end then. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You say that like it's a bad thing.

If I want low down torque, I'll buy a diesel.

Reply to
SteveH

Yep, I visited the dusty end of the rev counter quite frequently in that one.

Still glad I got shot of it though. Cam pulleys should not disintegrate at

9000 miles from new.
Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I have torque at the bottom end, and the correct number of cylinders. Nice. Very nice.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder wittered on forthwith;

As do I. Even nicer with a turbo :-)

I was surprised last week to discover the Mk4 GT TDI 150 Golf was slower, less responsive and didn't seem to have as much low down torque as my Mk2.

Averaged about 10 mpg more than mine does though. 55 for the TDi, mine does around 45-48 on the same kind of run (280 miles mainly on motorway, 80ish cruise, avg speed according to computer 59 mph)

The Mk4 has better speakers though.

Reply to
Pete M

I drove down to Ricky after I read your post. Parked up at the units=20 next door, either I missed you or got bored and left before you arrived.

Saw a nice 914 in Gulf colours go past though.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder wittered on forthwith;

I left around 4ish I think.

Ooooh!.

Reply to
Pete M

How can you use 'nice' and '914' in the same sentence?

It's a badly proportioned VW ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

You mean it evolved over the years into a Passat?

Reply to
Elder

Heh.

It evolved from the Beetle. Which isn't a good thing.

They're ugly as sin. If you want a cheap-ish VW, get a 944, ffs.

Reply to
SteveH

Un-intentionally apt typo there.

For VW, substitute Porsche ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Ah right, OK, because everyone knows the cheap vw is the 924.

As it happens, the 914 and the 914/6 are more Porsche than the 924, and part of the direct evolution between the 550 spyder and the Boxster/Cayman.

Of course you could never accuse Alfa of ever using anyone else's parts to weaken the heritage in their own brand of automotive purity.

Reply to
Elder

I left the house about 11:50, and got bored waiting at about 12:30. I didn't see your truck inside when I drove past, so I waited. Was knackered from the night before so I had to fight to stop dozing off, so I buggered off home.

Reply to
Elder