The cutting edge of cocking about

Can the Xbox do anything better than VGA?

Anyway, I got my kit from Baldbouncer.co.uk - mine was a 1.6b Xbox, I didn't use the solderless adaptor I bought (looking for a home for it) and then messed up the LPC rebuild, so I think either making sure you start with a 1.5 or using the solderless adaptor is the best option.

I sent back my widescreen TV (was renting for ages), and I'm planning to get a plasma some time this year. gf insists I fix the fireplace first, though. Plus for video/film on my favourite format - Laserdisc - I have an Epson projector thingy.

xbmc links to something called "ReplayTV" which I think is a PVR. I got the iTunes setup working but it stutters - haven't figured out why.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Ugh. The Server IS a Mac, and the remote connection is a remote control ;)

Wonder if Apple will make the media centre people keep wittering on about.

I use VNC to control the Beige G4upgraded Mac server, for iTunes/Airtunes. And to control the PC when I am updating the iPaq remotely ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I've got an original iMac that I was using as a server, but limited drive expansion was an issue - I needed a Wintel box, so bought a Shuttle which is now my media server. Not the best choice, I admit, but Apple don't make anything comparable. (You can't stick more than a sinlge drive inside a Cube or a Mini).

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse for the PC, which live under the coffee table as the 'remote controls' for it - but for admin tasks and running windows applications I tend to get to it via RDC.

It's quite a neat setup, IMHO.

The iMac CoreDuo is moving in that direction with it's pop-out remote control, but there's not enough 'media centre' software around for the Mac as yet. I want to see a CoreDuo Mini with RF remote, 250Gb drive, DVD-RW, WiFi and analogue / digital terrestrial tuners. Oh, and S-Video input with onboard hardware MPEG-2 encoding would be nice.

I don't want much ;-)

heh.

I use my iPaq as a media player around the house - most rooms have some sort of audio kit with line-in capability, so a wifi iPaq streaming from the media server is quite a cool little toy.

Reply to
SteveH

720p / 1080i can be organised. Mate of mine is a bit of an Xbox nut and has them sorted as such.

The living room is currently a 42" plasma. Business means I may be getting a number of heavily discounted 60" plasmas soon - if anyone's interested. Not sure if they'll be sensible in my 12ftx15ft living room yet.

PC with UK nova is great, kind of like a retrospective PVR!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

But you can stick them *outside*

Tim S Kemp

Can an X-box encode MPEG to function as a PVR?

Reply to
Doki

No.

It doesn't have any analogue inputs.

Reply to
SteveH

Ugger. Doubted it'd have the processing oomph TBH.

Reply to
Doki

Was going to suggest you lived somewhere less pikey, but somewhere less pikey would mean that you'd get an even smaller living room for the same money :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

To be fair, Toxteth would be less pikey :-P

Reply to
SteveH

My entire home here is probably less than 15 square metres, including the ensuite.

Reply to
DanTXD

Lol!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Ensuite? You mean it's a bedsit?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I don't know what mine is in meters. It's about 2,800sq ft.

But, the living room is about 12 x 15 or 16, I think. No single room is large enough (IMO) for a 60" screen - about 50" is the limit with my projector.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Will probably have throat cut by t'other half and/or bank manager for even thinking about it, but my inner geek is definitely interested. How discounted are we talking, and what sort of beasties are they?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

email me - timskemp at gmail dot com for more info.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp