Tools

ahhh, the old school of thought that goes along the lines of "if it doesn't come undone, you need a bigger hammer" :)

or the offshoot of that school of thought that says "if it doesn't come undone, you ain't hitting it hard enough" :)

Reply to
dojj

In message , dojj writes

I prefer the term "percussive maintenance".

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The ones with both are probably better IMO, as you have a choice of both depending on what you use it for. I've only ever used a torque wrench when i've been putting a new clutch on - all the other times when i should have used it i've guesstimated and never had a problem. It all depends on what you're going to be doing and how much of a perfectionist you are!

I've brought a few cheap tools in my time - and have normally regretted it. Middle of the range stuff is what i use now. I've got quite a few Draper bits (sockets, ratchets, screwdriver set) and they seem to last very well. Also some of the Halfords stuff i have brought has lasted well. Also got a few things stolen from me dad - snap on, and some other make that eludes me, and they're probably decades old by now - quality lasts!!!

Depends what you want to do. If i were you, for now, i'd stick with a decent socket set 8mm - 19mm (3/8" would do), 10mm-19mm spanners, adjustable wrench, decent screwdriver set (inlcuding a big one that can be used to lever things), a hammer, pliers, sidecutters and a big adjustable plier thingy. Then if you need anything else you can get it as you go and gradually build your tool collection up. Oh, and some gaffer tape and cable ties!

I always keep a decent amount of tools in my car, plus spare pipes (water and fuel), tow rope, WD40, jump leads, spare coolant - all in a plastic box strapped down in the boot. Everytime i've broken down i've always been able to fix it at the side of the road (or patch it up enough to carry on). originally i only did it for rallies - now i just keep it in there all the time.

No idea on that one.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Dave> In article , Dave> James wrote: >> Facom don't make the Halfords stuff. I've seen it written in >> many places (i.e. everywhere) but they don't.

Dave> It's only their pro range, though, their ordinary stuff Dave> ain't that good IMHO.

I used some Facom ratchet wrenches last week and was very unimpressed with the quality - I kept accidentally reversing the ratchet. The Halfords Pro stuff does look good, though I got a great deal on the Teng set I use otherwise I'd have probably bought the Halfords set by now.

AndyC

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

stick their

not recommend

tool.

avoided, their mid

as good as

big a discount

at all, but

RRP for my

discount without too

Kamasa 1/2"

more expensive

the Swedish

Kamasa, there

different

franchises

countries.

I think Kamasa basically makes 2 grades of tools. One grade is cheap drop forged stuff and not worth buying. The other range, marked 'chrome vanadium' is good value.

Apart from Kamasa and Elora, most of my spanners, sockets etc, come from a variety of unknown makers, and have been baught cheaply over a number of years. Most of my Elora stuff was baught when they were first imported to this country, and were heavily discounted to attract sales. None of them have ever let me down, and the only thing they have in common is that they are all made from Chrome Vanadium. (CV) I just won't buy spanners etc made from anything else. Maybe there are poor quality CV tools around. If there are, I seem to have missed buying them. Plus no name CV tools can be remarkably cheap. I'd suggest that buying chrome vanadium tools marked as such, is a good guide of their quality, especially in the absence of a name you recognise. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Fair , I snapped a draper ring spanner once & punched the block, it was several years before I bought anything off them again, still their ABS brake tool & universal valve compressor(saves you taking the head off ) are holding up & look very similar to Mr Snapons

If you only use it infrequently the heavy stuff like the hydraulics isn't bad, the hand tools are generally crap & the power tools are available cheaper elsewhere (

are normally competetive)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ah crap, "(side faced sockets)" should read "six faced" ;(

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Hex rather than bi-hex?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yeah, impact sockets seem to be mainly hex, I've used 'em at a push but they're a bit bulky.

Reply to
Tony Bond

You can get 'normal' sockets that are hex rather than bi-hex. They are said to grip better, but I've never found it a problem on nuts which are in good condition using a good quality bi-hex of the correct size. Rusty nuts might be different.

Bi-hex sockets have the considerable advantage of thinner walls.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Most of my hex sockets are 'normal' sockets, if I need one I don't have I look in my rattle-gun case and use an impact one. I was thinking of rusty heads, I've stripped a few old cars with 'em (cortina and esc Mk2) and they've been invaluable, maybe because I use metric tools on 'em ;)

But for rusty imperial bolts with a fair bit of room around 'em i still prefer a couple of decent hex sockets :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

In article , Paul Giverin writes

Birmingham screwdriver.

"More complicated problem, use a bigger hammer"

"Impact technology".

If it jams, hit it. If it breaks, it probably needed replacing anyway.

BTW, I got my Elora socket set in 1965 with my mother's Embassy coupons. It's still going strong, although the plastic tray insert is severely mangled because of all the metric sockets that also live there.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

which meanas they crack easier ;)

Reply to
dojj

Well no, that's why you can make them with thinner walls :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

well yes actually I broke 2 halfords bi-hex sockets trying to undo a crank pulley bolt (went back and got another one exchanged) it was finally unleashed when I persuaded it to come undone with a 3/4 19mm and 3 foot of power bar and 90 degrees of twist :-0

Reply to
dojj

I've split a six point Elora on Vauxhaul wheel nuts but that doesn'y say anything about the relative strength, it just tells me it wasn't strong enough.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

anything about the relative strength, it just tells me it wasn't strong enough.

well, it seems that the halfords 1/2 drive sockets won't take more than about 300lb/ft then :) and the crank bolt? took it up to almost 400lb/ft before it budged (don't ask me how, I'm used to doing up lorry wheel nuts)

Reply to
dojj

Was this through applying an axial rather than rotary load? I've seen sockets broken like this when trying to remove a tight wheel nut - the trick is to support the lever with a second jack or whatever so it's only turning and not applying a sideways load to the socket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Din Spec for a 19mm 1/2" drive socket is (6pt or 12pt) 531Nm, or 391 lbft. So Halfords fail the cut.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Cheapo socket sets (ala Argos and the like) tend to come in 12 point (bi-hex) only where as more expensive stuff you either get a choice or 6 pointed only, generally this is why a 6 pointed socket has thicker walls than a 12 sided one. If you think about it, a 12 sided socket is basically a

6 sided one with more metal cut away (i.e. the extra 6 points) so if it has thinner walls it is not as strong as the 6 sided socket (assuming all other factors are equal i.e. material, heat treatment and design).

When a nut is a bit non-hexagonal (rounded off a bit or rusted away) or very tight, a six sided socket will distort less than the equivilant 12 pointed

Reply to
James