Top Gear.

Please don't do this. £28k? I would NOT be buying a Passat, and neither would you.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Never forget that a lot of companies have a one make policy - hence last time I worked for one of them the directors had Omega Elites and the junior sales had corsas.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

So, if you were forced into it, you'd have one then heh.

Reply to
Iridium

Oh indeed, given a VW only policy and insufficient budget for a Phaeton (go look at the lease figures) then yes, a crazy passat would be preferable to a small hatch.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I think I'd probably have the Golf R32.

Reply to
Iridium

The only computers in my WRX are the climate control, abs and the engine management. The evos are the ones with all the letters. And probably the better car.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Maybe so, but ATEOTD if they really hate the look of it and really wouldn't want to own something that looked like that, then it's clearly not the car for them, is it?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

ah no no no, ok i'm not a ford fan and wouldn't have one mainly because i'd rather have something else instead. the old focus drives ok but to be honest i'm happier with my old E36, it's nice and low, comfy and has (well now anyway) a nice smooth straight 6.

i admit i do have some badge snobbery. for instance i LIKE the hyundai coupe. it's a nippy little car and handles nice but the badge puts me off as it reminds me of what shit the other models are.

if i had the choice between a VW passat R32 or an ST i'd take the passat, i've not driven either but i know the passat will have all the nice touches inside (like a soft touch dash)

or given the choice over a new focus ST or something of similar value but a few years younger i'd pick the car that best suited my taste for that price and for the price of a new ST that opens up a lot of alternative used cars. i'd even be tempted on a T5 volvo with the same engine because it's a little more subtle.

Reply to
Vamp

the fabia vRS is a nice car so is the octi version i just wish the dash plastics inside weren't so s**te!

Reply to
Vamp

huh not all jap cars have s**te interiors. my MR2 Turbo had a soft touch dash you know :)

Reply to
Vamp

It's not quick, it's fugly, not well built and not reliable.

You may as well get something that's pretty with the other attributes.

Reply to
DervMan

now THAT is a sweet little motor!

we had an 06 one come back a few months back now. was a snatch back after some company couldn't pay are bills or anyone elses. just loved that exhaust burble it made and i swear the tarmac wrinkled up when doing a hard launch! (well from what the valters told me *cough)

Reply to
Vamp

Well that depends on your perspective.

The Passat doesn't cut it at cooking model prices, otherwise we'd not see fleets of 3-series, A4s and C-Classes.

Correct.

Reply to
DervMan

But looking at your website, you're more a fast bike man than a fast car man ..

I personally would rather own an exciting to drive, powerful road going rally car like the FQ300, STi PPP than a powerful but uninspiring rep-barge like that Passat.

Don't know about where you live, but I've NEVER seen a woman driving a Scoob/Evo round these parts.

No, sorry, let the missus drive mine. Once.

Reply to
Me

So would I - but only a MkI Impreza or earlier Evo. I don't want something that's supposedly some kind of rally car but is just a PS2 game for adults.

However, an R36 would suit me better as a daily driver.

Loads of 'em do around here - probably owned by boyfriends / husbands, but I see more women driving 'em to Tescos than anything else - all with fake tans and bleached hair.

Reply to
SteveH

Exactly, but no different from hating the badge.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Ah, but there are plenty of magazine reviews that tell people how they are so completely controlled to drive with everything corrected by computer, complete with pics of drifting action on an airfield or a race track.

So it /has/ to be the case that they are no fun on the road. Doesn't it ?

fwiw, the speed these things hurtle along at 1) it's hard to feel completely in control, and 2) if something is actually looking out for me - thank f*ck because Mr Grin just wants to press the busy pedal some more :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

In fairness, the vast majority of them do :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Drifting a Subaru or Mitsubishi at *eeeeek* mph on an open airfield or track is totally different to getting one to break traction on a public road, though.

It's more fun to drive a car with the limits or grip being found within the speed limit, rather than having to be going at hugely illegal speeds to get some kicks.

The most fun car to drive I've ever had was my 124 Spider - purely because you could have fun at sane speeds - which meant you were having fun more of the time.

If I want to go fast, I'll take the bike, 'cos that makes just about any car this side of an F355 feel slow.

Reply to
SteveH

Yea, because that's got nothing to do with going at hugely illegal speeds to get kicks...

Reply to
Lordy.UK