Torque and BHP

A colleague and myself have bother ordered new vehicles delivered in September. He has ordered a Mercedes-Benz OC500LE (299hp and 1250nm) I have a Bugatti Veyron (1001hp, 1250nm) One of the things I liked about the Bugatti was the amount of power for over taking. Would these two vehicles pull away the same when overtaking. What is the advantage to having more hp if the torque and overtaking power is just the same. ;)

Though I think the Merc handles like a bus.

(Not that I would be making fun of anyone on uk.rec.cars.misc)

Reply to
Depresion

Because torque x rpm = power.

So the merc will be tons slower due to it making its torque at lower rpm. This means that at any given road speed it needs much taller gearing reducing torque at the wheel.

Thats the simple answer!

The more complex one is that the SHAPE of the power curve and the area under the graph is what counts.

Or...

Torque is only comparable directly in relation to performance if measured at the wheel at any given roadspeed. But bhp takes all that into account so it is DIRECTLY comparable.

A 400 bhp turbo bike engine will propel your truck just as well as a 400 bhp truck engine and it will do so at 5 times the rpm with one fifth the torque due to gearing.

Reply to
Burgerman

No, the merc will be tons slower due to being 18 tons, even with the same engine.

Reply to
Depresion

Yes well that as well!

Reply to
Burgerman

So you've married a footballer and dyed your hair blonde? ;-)

David

Reply to
David Lane

Shh! Don't tell.