Tuning Ford TDCi Engines

Stop! Torsion beam front suspension? 75's sound strange. I am starting to want one now, simply so I can flummox my workmates who just seem to talk about how much power their air filter and cat replacement pipe freed up and how 1.1 litres of french glory nearly they kept up with that Mitsubushi EVO from the lights at last sunday night's cruise.

My Carlton is good at work as the car park is full of badboy'd saxos on finance belonging to people my age who still live at home.

Powerslides round the wet roundabout on the way home are fun but an Alfa 75

8v TS would be ace. A similar 150bhp, RWD but manual and weirder looking.

Don't think I could handle the unreliability dodgy electrics and rust though. (c; Hang on... I own a Carlton...

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

They are.

Torsion beam front suspension, De Dion rear axle and transaxle gearbox under the boot floor with inboard rear discs.

All works very well, though.

Heh. I had a bit of a tussle with a MkI Scooby Impreza the other evening on a twisty mountain B-road on the way home from work (look for 'Big Pit' near Blaenavon on a map). He had the power, but I'm not _that_ far down on power to weight, plus I had more bottle than him in the twisty bits - so he didn't quite manage to get past me - showed me his nose a couple of times though. Fantastic fun.

Heh... not that old chestnut. They're more or less fully galvanised, the only place rust does really get to them is the rear arches under the plastic bodykit - probably something to do with the self-tappers holding the arch extensions on. Electrics are fairly simple - the only thing wrong with mine is the oil level light - ground it to earth and it's fine, can't be arsed fitting a new sender. And the 8v TSpark engine is one of the most reliable ever produced.

Reply to
SteveH

I trust you asked to see the calibration certificate, 'cos that sounds well out.

Reply to
SteveH

Indeed - as the manufacturers top speed on the wagon was 108 I statet that I cannot believe the equipment was used corrected and left without a ticket.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

still loads about, dont see 75's that often though

Reply to
Theo

I'd rather have a senator or a carlton 24v

Reply to
Theo

Arrgh, for once I agree with Theo...

Although I have owned and pretty much enjoyed a GSi 3000 24v - a truly excellent car, whenever I saw a 24v Senator I wished I'd bought one of those instead. It's the back arches on the Carlton that ruin it for me. To my eyes the back arches make it look like the back end was designed by someone who'd been fired by Cadillac for "ugliness beyond the call of duty"..

Reply to
Pete M

Yeah, they're a bitch. Then again, I hate working on *anything* front wheel drive.

Strangely, I've always preferred the handling of the V6 164 to the TS. V6 has a bit more understeer, granted, and it feels a bit flabby over high speed undulations, but they are so much quicker coming out of bends than the TS it more than makes up for it. I enjoy acceleration out of bends, so the added torque (and the soundtrack) of the V6 makes it more fun to drive even if it's not as quick around a set of tight S bends... Besides, in an early

164 V6 you have the added bonus prize of the challenge of keeping the bloody thing in one lane! 75 V6's are just hooligan machines and I love 'em for it. The TS is possibly a better everyday car, but the V6 puts a grin on my face every time I start one.
Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Douglas Payne decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Ah, the thing is 90% of Scousers are monumentally conservative when it comes to cars. You don't see many cars in Liverpool over 7 or 8 years old that don't carry Ford or Vauxhall badges. but you do see quite a few Alfas. Scouse auctions are a great place to pick up the less mainstream stuff for pennies. Even the bargain hunters avoid anything which could work out to be expensive...

Mine was a 1983 Y reg Celica, drove it for about a week then sold it on. Awful thing. I'd quite like a Mk1 Celica 2000GT though.

Reply to
Pete M

Torque curves and throttle response would be vastly different.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Look for small piles of oxidised metal on the road. It's all thats left of them.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

ummmm....

saw a lovely 24v manual senator in white on M reg t'other day, it was absolutely gleaming and no sign of being a police model,

Reply to
Theo

No, it was 165bhp and it was a 1.9. Granted, it was a 16v lump.

The later 2.0 iron-block unit made 155bhp (but more torque).

Reply to
Nom

Peugeot's latest Derv lumps (including which the TDCi in question) are all-alloy lumps - I suspect the weight difference between the 1.4 TDCi and it's equivalent petrol lump, is approximately bugger all.

Reply to
Nom

Yep.

But driven properly, both cars would post very similar times for an A to B dash.

The point is that petrol does NOT give "decent performance" when compared to diesel - it's different, but the same.

Reply to
Nom

Mazda 6 is quite common isn't it ? I've seen plenty, and I like em plenty.

It'd be my choice of it's class, if they made a quick one.

Reply to
Nom

Yes, we have.

But for some reason, it never seems to enter into SteveH's brain ?

Reply to
Nom

Just to add, did you see their 250bhp 4x4 2.0 Turbo one at the Motorshow ? It was badged as the 4C or something ?

Officially a concept, but I can't see it escaping production !

Reply to
Nom

I read in this months Evo BMW are starting to use Peugeot engines as well!

Reply to
Dan405

Tell you what you want doing that sort of mileage - a Mk1 diesel Mondeo :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan