Tuning Ford TDCi Engines

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, DervMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

you want full tank figures????

Excursion (again) 44 gallon tank, emptied in less than 300 miles most fill ups...

Reply to
Pete M

-11mpg my car in a petrol station.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Because there's no need.

Modern Petrol engines already make "enough" power, without the manufacturer having to fit an expensive Turbo setup. The Turbos are saved for the "high-performance" engines like mine and yours.

Reply to
Nom

LOL

Reply to
Nom

22mpg average from my TI, but I've had 18mpg from a "quick week" tank :)

Having said that, it can (and does) easily return 35mpg over a 70mph motorway cruise.

Reply to
Nom

SWMBO's just taken it for a couple of days. She likes it. Women, eh?

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

Are you mad?

Clearly! I used to get 30-36 in the Ka. Don't bother measuring anymore. Actually, I can imagine that's not too hard if you drive round town a lot and gun it!

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

Is there any other way? :)

Yes, city consumption is typically 30 to 36. The 25.7 figure was for winter short trips. :-(

Plenty of use of the air conditioning, York's stop start traffic, sees it at

30 mpg.

Plenty of use of the air conditioning, sticking to the speed limit over a 30 mile each way commute, sees it at somewhere between 42 mpg (low recorded figure) and 45 mpg (high recorded figure).

Reply to
DervMan

17.5mpg from a 1997 Rover 414i over a _full tank_. It involved lots of twisty, wide country B roads, never less than 4500rpm, and a big silly grin (that is, until I came to the petrol pump). Surprisingly much more fun to drive on the limit (and a bit faster too if you used every last rev) than the 1.8 Focus that replaced it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Tucker

I like em in general, although the 1.8s are dramatically underpowered :-/

Reply to
Nom

The 2.0 Zetec's aren't /bad/ are they? 140bhp and quite a wedge of torque?

Reply to
Dan405

But suprisingly coarse and boomy for a current production engine....

Reply to
Tony Bond

Hmm - not very economical, noisy, coarse too.

The TDCi 115 is quicker point to point unless you're thrashing.

Reply to
DervMan

Noisy wouldn't bother me, i'm used to it :) What do you mean by coarse?

'unless' i am thrashing ;) Well, i'd have the pov spec diesel if i wasn't gonna thrash :D

Reply to
Dan405

underpowered

It might if you've driven a few 2.0 or their equivalents in the sector. By coarse, I mean it's a bit rough and ready. The Astra 2.2, as an example, feels refined, smooth, nice sporty growl to it when you're trying hard. The Zetec-E's great engine noise does start to grate after a while.

Not excessively bad, admittedly, but compared to the rest of the sector it's a bit disappointing.

When you see how juicy the 2.0 Focus is, and that one can use 60% of the fuel in the TDCi, one can justify driving the TDCi very hard.... :)

Reply to
DervMan