Tyres Question

Amazes me how many drivers in this group are just so much better than technology can throw at them, if you were in a situation where ESP was constantly on there is no way you would have time to think hmmm lets reach over and press that button.

Plus it was a FWD focus, try the same is a 4wd quattro I doubt ESP would even flicker

Reply to
Ronny

Its fun upsetting technology, and it is almost always possible if you are being enough of a rough bastard.

I'm pretty certain not have the time or presence if mind in "Pete" and "Eddie"'s situation to reach over and press the button. I'd have probably died, but I'd have upset the technology.

Nah, he'd just have to be going a bit faster...

(c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

ESP is Electronic Stability Program - it stops you spinning, by watching the rotation (the yaw angle) of the car. If it decides you're doing something you shouldn't, then it does things (including the braking of one or more wheels, and/or cutting of power) to stop it. I can't remember if you've got ESP or not.

EBD is simply Electronic Braking Distribution. It sends the most braking force to the wheel(s) with the most traction. It basically doesn't do anything that a 4-channel ABS system doesn't already do.

Reply to
Nom

Its not just that you're paying for. You're paying for longer lifetime and very noticable reduction in road noise plus better cornering.

Reply to
Conor

Because I like to hear my stereo without having the volume up full. Because I don't like the sideways feel you get when cornering due ot s**te sidewalls on cheapies. Because when I go round a roundabout in the wet, I actually don't like understeering. Because I don't like having to change tyres every 15000 miles.

Reply to
Conor

Absolutely. Had cheap tyres on the sierra and a truck I drove. Without trying, whenever it was wet I ended up powersliding out of roundabouts with both vehicles.

Reply to
Conor

Is that the sound of the goalposts leaving the stadium?

Reply to
Conor

Why do you insist on making pointless posts? if you want to discuss how in your experience ESP/Tyres/TCS etc works then carry on, Believe it or not I like to hear peoples views even Steve's, we have had many a conversation on MSN shouting about car crap.

You just spout pointless crap, as usual.

Reply to
Ronny

Here's the episode if anyone wants it, I will seed it for a few days as well.

Ronny

If road-noise is entering your car, then change it. My current steed is almost silent on it's no-name rubber.

And you'd spend an extra £400 on four tyres, to cure those issues ?

We aren't talking a couple of quid here - decent rubber for my car is about £150 a corner ! It'd be well over £200 a corner, if I'd bought the 19" rims I was considering last week. I've got better things to spend my money on, than tyres.

At £50 a corner, I'm quite happy to change them every year thanks. A reasonably quick FWD car will annihilate whatever brand you put on it, in a very short space of time anyway.

Reply to
Nom

Yep - I'll concede they may even last 20% longer. And as above, I aren't about to pay a 110% premium for that. Noname tyres offer *excellent* performance for the money - I've got no intention of changing mine :)

Reply to
Nom

Actually, IME, i find that the performance branded tyres (Goodyear F1's etc) last less time than the cheapos...

Reply to
DanTXD

No, it was an option tho, and the GTi 180 and GTi have it, although ike yours, its switchable. Can't see why anyone would need it in the 120bhp XSi to be honest, it lights the fronts up quite easily, but it requires slight provokage, you have to be shit to need ESP with that little power.

Reply to
DanTXD

The ESP only tries to prevent understeer and oversteer - the TCS (Traction Control System) that would stop your front wheels lighting up, is a seperate part of the system :)

ESP + TCS + ABS + EBD + etc. are usually all combined into one system - they all use the same sensors and ABS pump anyway, so the cost of adding on each three-letters is is negligable.

Reply to
Nom

Yup, it costs 250 quid or so to retro fit ESP to a Audi TT well $599

Reply to
Ronny

I saw that and really throught they were called Wanki tyres, now that would have been honest advertising.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

We can! I've spun a TT with ESP.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The difference in road noise between the Goodyear NCT5 I had and the Conti Premium Contact I have now is both noticable and measurable (5db less). Tyre choice makes a big difference.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

WTF are you on about?

If they had "my" ESP system they would not even be able to pull away let alone go round a corner.

Road cars and Rally cars are 2 totally different things, read up first then come back.

Reply to
Ronny

Get me another Ka, some balls of steel I'll show you. 3rd gear at 60mph (probably about 4 thousand revs), round a bend I know and you could easily punt the thing backwards with engine braking alone.

Reply to
doki