Tyres Question

Agreed.

Reply to
Nom

Ah, well that's why modern vehicles have standard traction control. I've had no such problems in my FWD car.

Reply to
Nom

Eh ?

The poster was me.

Why are you under the impression that I can't afford to run branded rubber ?

I *choose* to do so - you seem to think this means I have no other choice ? I fail to see how the two are related ?

I could go out tomorrow and spend £220 on four tyres, or £700 on four tyres. The choice is mine to make. It's not limited by budget - I just choose what I think offer the best value for my money.

Reply to
Nom

What a constructive contibution.

I fail to see how resorting to insults, is going to get you anywhere - it'll just make people think you're a numpty :)

Reply to
Nom

Think about it though Nom, why have a nice car with nice rims but the tyres look like s**te, personally I think there is nothing worse then seeing a crap tread pattern on a nice set of 18's or 19's, but then i'm anal about things like that :)

Reply to
Ronny

SteveF that is, not SteveH although he knows he is a tosser :)

Reply to
Ronny

There's plenty of nice looking tyres that are crap though - construction and compound matter too.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

So it was.

Because I remembered the wording of your post differently. But you're right, you never said you couldn't afford to.

Reply to
Conor

In a FWD car I doubt I would either although there'd maybe be the odd chance of understeer. Don't know what it is about that particular roundabout but its always been the same for as long as I can remember.

Reply to
Conor

I wouldn't buy a car with ludicrous prices for replacement tyres. I certainly wouldn't fit stupid wheels and then buy shit tyres because tyres for them cost 3x what normal ones cost.

And yes, if I were running something modern with low profile rubber, I'd buy decent tyres.

Or someone's pulled out in front of you, or you've got shit tyres. I've experienced chronic understeer at very low speeds (20mph round a carpark, and not yanking the steering like a loon) and wheels locking under moderate braking pressure with crap cheap tyres.

I've got 15" rims on my Golf GTi, ta very much. 185/65/15s I think the tyres are. Goodyear Venturas on the back and Contis on the front. But as it's a common size so Goodyear Eagles cost me £60 a corner, and shitty nonamers cost £25.

Reply to
doki

Not forgetting that s**te tyres + ABS = stupidly long breaking distances.

Reply to
SteveH

Then you're going to be driving shit for the rest of your life...

Reply to
LordyUK

Who said he was a prick? I just happened to mention plenty of people think that he is.

I am not known for my name calling, but why is it the same people try and annoy others instead of just having a normal conversation.

And yeah I am a numpty anyway :P

Reply to
Ronny

The Federals ATC has on the alloys on his 405 have an awesome tread pattern :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Cannot remember - the 924 sat on quite high profile 185's though.. I don't recall them being anything spectacular otherwise I'd remember.

Now, IIRC, the 944 has 225/50 tyres all round. I would of course go for a high speed rating, don't see much point in fitting anything else. Being RWD I want something that will hold on pretty well, but I would be keen to try something 'no name' rather than shelling out for a brand. I'm trying to keep within an certain budget as I need to invest some money in other areas of the car and I'm not exactly loaded! I remember we fitted 'Champiro' tyres all round to the RX-7 a couple of years back. From memory, I think they were from Australia and a company was shipping them in bulk when they had enough orders. Turned out to be a good price - low profile and Z rated. Never had any problems with them, so they would probably be on my list of choices when I come to buy a set.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Nope, I just won't buy something with strange sized tyres, unless I can afford to pay for good tyres in the strange size...

Reply to
doki

The Metro with its metric sized tyres being the exception that proves the rule?

Reply to
Conor

Are metro metric tyres cheap? I know Jag ones aren't. When we swapped wheels on the XJ40 tyres went from £150 a corner to £50...

Reply to
doki

*and wheels*
Reply to
doki

Grip or traction is also standardised, cost of tyre is not a factor here. If your tyre is marked "b" for example it grips like a b, no matter what it costs. Go read your tyres!

A quote from the standards: (relates to wet grip) Traction: Tyre traction is rated AA, A, B or C, with AA at the top of the scale.

Reply to
Burgerman