Uttery, Utterly OT

Two questions, if I may be so bold. It's late, there are a few techy types in here, and I can't be arsed to hunt for an appropriate group. Not to mention that, gee, you guys are just so darned helpful ! (heh).

Firstly, anyone got any recommendations for a free web host, no banners or ads and can access it from cable modem (i.e. I don't have to be dialed into a native telephone line to upload) ? (Basically I only want to stick a few images there, not actual HTML).

Secondly, how do I stop a computer from accessing the internet over a LAN whilst leaving e-Mail working... Sounds simple, but doesn't appear to be. I've managed to patch my own departments Windows network at work into the main Novell office network, allowing me to access the outside world (yay). The downside being every computer on my internal network can now do so and basically I don't want my lads being able to do that.

It's mainly just WWW that I want to stop. Internet Connection Sharing is switched off on all the machines, and even deleting Internet Explorer has no affect whatsoever (once it's ascertained that there isn't a local copy it appears to be just downloading it over the LAN and launching the server machine's copy).

Obvious answer is to use a firewall and just block the port, but it's too 'visible' and easily disabled. Surely there must be an easier method of terminting the WWW port without blocking the whole internet connection (maybe a proxy redirecting to an invalid port... ?).

Answers on a postcard pls... :)

Reply to
Lordy

You should be using RiscOS which was originally developed by Acorn with kids in mind. I can disable web, mail or post, password protected. Of course, like any such program a skilled hacker could find a work round, but it will stop most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

proxy server with username/passwords?????

LL

Reply to
LiviLion

Heh, RiscOS rocks, spent many happy days in my y00f arsing around with Archimedes :)

Not an option however obviously.

Reply to
Lordy

Too complex, I just want some simple way to just block the port or disable Internet Explorer or something.

Reply to
Lordy

Oh, and just to complicate matters, I don't want to disable IE altogether as it's needed to access certain network pages. It has to be the outgoing connection only that's disabled :)

Reply to
Lordy

The only way to do it properly would be with a firewall/NAT solution (winroute pro is quite good and only NAT the ports you want) another good point is if they do get online then it will log the sites they go to. You could possibly noble internet explorer by setting up a false proxy setting in IE but it's easy to get round. Open IE on the PC you want to noble then go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections then click on LAN Settings tick "Use a proxy server for your LAN" then click Advanced and enter an IP in the boxes for the services you want blocked (make it 128.0.0.1 and set a port to anything 8080 or 3128 are common). The problem is if your kids know what they are doing it's very easy to get round.

Reply to
Depresion

For a quick solution you could just go to each workstation and enter a manual proxy server, depending on how clued up the users are they prob wont think to check in there, the manual proxy could just be pointed to an ipaddress on your internal network.

This would be a quick fix for non techy people

Ron

Reply to
Ron

That's what I was trying to suggest only not as well. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

threaten to slap the living shit out of your minions if they use the net......

that should work.

depends how you come across when you say it.

Reply to
Theo

That sounds like just the ticket. It did cross my mind actually, but I'd assumed that if no proxy server was found it would fall back on a direct connection.

Most of them are fuckwits so it's more than adequate :)

Reply to
Lordy

Bastard:-)!!!

Reply to