Isee petrol heads have been shafted then.

Not even smart cars will qualify for free road tax.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Do you know the actual changes? All I can find online is that some cars will be free but big cars will be increased

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

OK, found it, but what about old cars that dont have a CO2 band? Are we being shafted and put in the £210 band?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

No, but I honestly reckon any car of a certain age should be put in the £0 band, as by far the most environmentally friendly thing to do is

*not* to buy new cars. No matter how low the emissions are on a new car, they'll *never* pay back the difference once you've taken into account the impact of making a new car in the first place.

IYSWIM.

Reply to
SteveH

Agreed. An old "banger" will always be the cheaper option. The tax should be free on the banger, sellign it to a car dismantler=20 should be tax free, but having it crushed rather than stripped should be=20 taxed as there are so many useful parts even on the most rusty wreck.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Totally agree. Its funny that people who are generally poor will buy cheap old bangers, but potentially they'll be paying one of the highest road taxes. So Joe Blogs in their 50mpg £600 mondeo TD will only be paying about £30 less than Mr Footballer in his Hummer H2 doing 3mpg. Crazy!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The new prices only apply to cars built after 2001 All cars PLG etc before then pay the old system

BORG

I've had numerous people come and tell me how nice my Capri is. Don't get that when you park up your silver Vectra/Mondeo/Pug etc.

Whats depreciation?

Reply to
Conor

I used to get that all the time with my Capri. Nice car really.

It's something you let other people pay.

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:442415a3$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

Birds comment how nice the 206 is :) (someone's going to make a little kiddy joke aren't they)

Amen :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

£50 extra is not even a tankful for anything new and >225g/km

Meaningless soundbite about taxing Chelsea tractors and maybe £15-20M extra VED raised - cynical or what...

Alistair J Murray

British car industy's gonna take a hit then:

Landrover - manual diesel freelander 205gm, all others >225

Jaguar - Diesels under 225, all others >225

Bentley - all>225

Lotus elise / exige OK (208)

LTI Manual 204, auto 243

Metrocab > 225

MINI OK - but only just if you've got a cooper S convertible auto (221)

Rolls Phantom - only 385...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp