Why did I start this

Got the Primera home, and decided (after washing it) to have a look at the radio wiring. Previously, the switched live had given up the ghost, and was bypassed, so it now only worked with the headlamps switched on.

After pulling everything out, I reckoned on swapping it for another (better) Blaupunkt head unit I had knocking around the place. All going well until I noticed the aerial leads were different.....

Went back to putting the original unit back in - but couldn't work out how the wiring had been bodged in the past.

4 hours later, I've snipped everything back and am currently mating a Sony ISO loom to the original Primera wiring. In the dark. And now with a flat battery due to me working with the interior lights on.

And I _still_ can't listen to the radio - it's that bloody aerial socket issue again. Still, that can be fixed easily tomorrow.

Reply to
SteveH

Either this is a coincidence I dont know all the details as I wasn't there at the time but someone I know has just bought an N plate Primera and 2 guys, 1 of whom is some sort of electrician (well, he had a multimeter and does some thing electrickery related) spent 2 days attempting to get the stereo to work.

They had a garage and an anglepoise lamp to help them. I feel your pain.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Heh, you should have just left it alone. It's a reliable car, not quite what you are used to.

:-)

Reply to
petrolcan

I know. But that was a particularly low-rent head unit fitted as standard.

I now have a working CD player (Sony) but no radio due to the non-standard 'standard' aerial plug.

As I say, I'll fix that tomorrow when I can get the adaptor lead.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm more or less there now. Just got to get the aerial socket adaptor for it. Of course, this means the centre console has to come off again. But it's better than nothing.

Some very wierd stuff going on with the feed to the rear speakers - seem to have a common ground. And there's a few wires left over. But it works.

Reply to
SteveH

Bear in mind that it's almost 12 years old.

Half way there then.

Reply to
petrolcan

I never touched them

Reply to
petrolcan

Aye. The inital plan was to swap it for the head unit taken from the Alfa - also a Blaupunkt, and of a similar age. However, the Alfa unit was part of the 'premium audio pack' so was _very_ good.

Reply to
SteveH

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Maplin, couple of quid.

It came as standard with the Blaupunkt Modena I just bought from Bluespot, but Maplin do sell them.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

No Maplin in the depths of the Welsh valleys, but I'll be popping into Halfords at some point over the next couple of days to sort it.

Reply to
SteveH

I've a few in the top drawer of me desk in work :)

-- Chet

Chet

In the depths of Ireland, a few miles by carrier pigeon from the depths of Wales.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

South-east coast, on a good day i can almost see Wales ;)

-- Chet

Chet

How would that make it a good day?? LMAO

Mark

Reply to
Lostin1999

He said almost :)