Worst modded car..... ever!

Um, it solves it entirely.

If somebody gives me a tinyurl link, when I click on it I get sent to the tinyurl web page which tells me what the full link is. I can then click on the "Proceed to this site" link if I can see it's a sensible url.

Posters of links can even make this explicit by doing eg

Of course if you think tinyurl are lying about where they say they're sending you, it's not going to work, but if you think that it's probably tin foil hat time.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

I see that TinyURL have now started doing the "preview.tinyurl.com", which appears to be quite new (sometime early this year if usenet uses of it is anything to go off), which allows the reader to see that it's a previewed link. This didn't used to be the case and therefore even though the poster might have used preview, the reader couldn't tell and still had to trust the poster.

I'm guessing that was a previous method for achieving the same thing before they started supporting preview.tinyurl.com? It certainly doesn't seem to have been in regular use, resulting in only 211 matches in usenet across all time!

Reply to
Ed Chilada

Actually, the preview feature has been around longer than that, and it's configurable for the reader, rather than the poster. Whenever I click on eg

I go to the preview version. If you go directly to tinyurl.com, you can turn previews on for all your tinyurl use. Of course if you're allergic to cookies, you're stuffed, but at that point I refer you to the tin foil hat/black helicopter brigade.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Yep, I read about that too - but the aspect which is new, is the different "preview." part, which allows the poster to declare to the reader that he's used a preview redirect. Before that, the URL was still a "tinyurl." even if it were set as a preview and therefore there was no way for the reader to know.

Yeah, I noticed that and turned that on last time around. Thanks.

Reply to
Ed Chilada

Actually, the preview is set entirely at the reader's end - you don't set one of their links to preview when you create it. Ie it isn't the poster's problem, though using the preview version of the link is a good way of explicitly forcing it.

Cool, so you're now sorted - which kind of renders the previous paragraph irrelevant, but I thought it worth clearing up the confusion you were still apparently suffering.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Like I've said before, this is all new. It even says "new" next to the feature on their website. It certainly used to be the case that any tinyurl could take you direct to the site or preview it first - but the url posted didn't indicate which it was and there was no cookie you could locally set to control this.

No confusion, it's just that they seemed to have finally acted to clear the problem I mentioned - hence my complaints were out of date.

Reply to
Ed Chilada

That's certainly not been the case for a couple of years now, and I don't believe it's ever been the case. If you had eg

that was never a previewing url unless you had the local cookie. The preview feature isn't tied to the tinyurl itself. Dunno when preview went live on tinyurl, but it was over a year ago. DUATB :-)

See above.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

It's got nothing at all on this, it's some sort of art and works just like Dazzle camouflage. You would never see it coming until it hit you!!

As for that "bullet proof" engine claim, I know a girl that has just rodded her KA3 on the M-way.

Reply to
Peter Hill

IIRC it used to work like this: You'd type in your url and it would generate two tinyurls, one which was direct and one which would preview. Unfortunately, they were both in the same format (albeit different of course), meaning that the reader didn't know which behaviour to expect, since it depended on which of the two tinyurls the poster posted and there was no way for the reader to know. I've made this complaint/observation a few times historically (both directly to them and in various forums), so I'm reasonably confident that was how it worked. Therefore

*could* havebeen a previewing tinyurl and might not have been, you just couldn'ttell (though in most cases, people seemed to choose the direct one). Nowadays it seems that they've implemented the preview cookie, to put control in the readers hands and override the behaviour that the poster intended. Also, they have provided the different "preview.tinyurl", so as to allow the poster to denote that they are posting a previewing tinyurl. These latter two functions are reasonably new additions to the previewing functionality which IMO fixes it and makes it useable.

Preview behaviour has been around for years AFAIK, but it's being able to denote a preview URL to the readers using "preview.tinyurl", that would appear to be new since no-one in the history of usenet used it since the turn of the year.

Reply to
Ed Chilada

Is a Ka3 still a Kent, or was that just the early Kas?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's like one of those ornaments in seaside charity shops, made from seashells and hot-melt glue.

If you scraped the plastic crap off it, and if you wanted an early Fiesta bodyshell, it doesn't look like that bad a starting point.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They're Kents (aka Valencias) with different heads now. IIRC they've finally moved to an OHC design.

Reply to
Doki

Any chance of posting that in English?

Reply to
SteveH

They moved to the Duratec 8v five years ago.

Reply to
DervMan

Just the 10?

The oldest car I've owned was built in the late 70s, designed in the early 60s and never had anything other than a twin-cam fitted.

The only car we've had with pushrods was a MkII Fester.

Reply to
SteveH

Even I never had and I had a 1983 Triumph :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Take away costs and for the Ka design it really didn't matter if it had the existing 1.3 Endura-E, the 1.0 RoCam turbo, or whatever. Ford happened to have production capacity with the Endura-E, which of course costs around £17 to manufacture in bulk. Need. Supply. Job done.

It isn't rocket science. The majority of drivers don't understand nor give a gnat's butt if their car uses a DOHC variable valve, two stage induction donk, or just has "an engine." You can add "vast" before "majority" if we're discussing the Ka.

Reply to
DervMan