'06 Mustang Colors, Part II

Zombywoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You still can't beat the fidelity of a CD on a real good system IMO. Since I make my own CDs from dl'd music (gotta love alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.complete_cd), my total cost is the CD itself and the time it takes to make the CD from the mp3s. It's a no-brainer. BTW, most of the mp3s on that newsgroup are ripped at 192 or higher, so the fidelity is still right there.

Reply to
Joe

I've been cursing you under my breath ever since you previously mentioned that group. :) It consumes *way* too much time trying to keep up with the posts. There are a lot of posters there supplying a _lot_ of HQ rips. Good stuff!

Reply to
John C.

I've been cursing you under my breath ever since you previously mentioned that group. :) It consumes *way* too much time trying to keep up with the posts. There are a lot of posters there supplying a _lot_ of HQ rips. Good stuff!

Reply to
John C.

Understood, but while I think the prices for store bought CD's to be to high, I still refuse to obtain the material without paying the appropriate royalties to the artists. Now if it is the artist themselves putting their work into the public domain, I have no problem with obtaining that which the artist him/herself released for all to enjoy.

Reply to
Zombywoof

You're not making any sense. On the one hand, you say "I'm not paying for anything that I would otherwise get for free.", meaning that the same content is available over the airwaves. Then at the end of your post, you state "My point was not that the exact same content was currently available over the air waves for free, it was simply that if nobody was duped into paying for it in the first place, you could get it paid for by the advertisers alone." Now you're saying that your point wasn't that the content is the same, despite the fact that your original statement said that it was the same.

Again, the content isn't the same, and, if it were available over the airwaves, then of course I wouldn't pay for it. But it isn't available. In my mind, it's worth the price. If it's not worth it to you, that's your choice.

The other problem that I have is that you don't seem to just be happy to have your choice. Sure, you state "To each his own, enjoy your pay radio.". But you also have to slam anyone who does subscribe to satellite radio: "I suppose you like having toll roads along with paying your road taxes too?", and "...suckered a bunch of otherwise bright people ...". Fine, it has no value to you - that's your choice. So why aren't we allowed to our choice without having to be insulted by you? I don't agree with your choice either, but you don't see me insulting you for your choice - because you're entitled to it, same as I am.

improvement,

Reply to
Ken Zwyers

I'm with you on that, up to a point. My rule is: If I own the material on *any* form of media (LP, cassette or CD), I'll snag the mp3 without a trace of guilt. I'm certainly not going to pay (again) for a digitally remastered disc of previously purchased material. If it's new material, and I like it, I buy the disc. Ripping HQ mp3s from CD is tedious, so even if I have it on CD, I'll snag the post.

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

"John C." wrote in news:%NwGf.209$Pb.49@trndny08:

John, there are several things you might do to save time. One would be to use something like Grabit which lets you search for specifics; the other would be to look only in the "sub-groups" for specific genres or time periods. HTH.

Reply to
Joe

"John C." wrote in news:oPEGf.1605$Tb.1223@trndny01:

At this point I'm not concerned about the "illegality" of dl'ing stuff from USENET. It's my personal way of thumbing my nose at the recording industry.

If companies want to charge me ridiculous amounts of money to purchase a CD, I will simply circumvent the whole thing and get it for nothing from USENET. When the price of a CD comes down to something reasonable, I will gladly purchase it.

Most artists make their money from concerts and tours - not CD sales. The recording/distribution companies are the ones profiting from selling CDs, which is simply another reason to avoid supporting their ripoff tactics.

Even though the mp3 -> CD process is a bit tedious, I enjoy it as I "tweak" the recordings with my wave editor to improve the sound to my liking. A lot of the older recordings (i.e., classic rock) need a bit of "spice" to compete with today's sound, so I will add a bit of high and low end, maybe a bit of compression, etc. It's a personal thing, but my CDs sound awesome. :)

Reply to
Joe

I've followed that rule since the days of vinyl. Once the artist has gotten my money for the song, I feel I have the right to have multiple copies. Now I wouldn't want to have to use that as a defense in court, but I am not doing it from a legal perspective either.

Reply to
Zombywoof

I'm really not either. More of a personal thing.

I know, I know. A band can expect an average of $1.00 in royalties for each full-priced ($16.98) CD sold through normal retail channels. Which I'm here to tell you don't happen all that often. Sometime when you are bored read

to geta real good idea on what's what in % points.

Ahh a budding re-producer :)

Reply to
Zombywoof

Zombywoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A throwback to my first life as a musician. It never leaves you.

Reply to
Joe

I'm happy with my choice, I'm not happy with yours. I guess it's because you may not realize that your "choices" help cost us all in loss of choice and quality if not eventually cash. Try this angle,

I like to take my dogs places, I follow all of the leash laws and other dog control related rules I make sure my dogs do not scare or bother others. When I come across other (Pick your description) careless, rude, selfish, out of control, inconsiderate, dog owners that are not being considerate, I say something to them, because their so called "choice" directly contributes to the loss of places that allow all responsible people to bring their dogs.

Your choice to pay for radio is no less harmful to free radio listeners than your choice to pay for "extended warranties" is to consumers who still believe a manufacture should stand behind their product. If nobody paid for radio and simply demanded what they wanted over the free air waves, it would work in the same way as if nobody ever bought another extended warranty, and demanded that manufacture still stand behind their product. We would all get what we want at no additional cost.

The more people that choose to pay for radio, the smaller the pool of people and options available for those that don't choose to pay for radio.

Look at the big picture.

Like I said, to each his own, enjoy your pay radio at what results in cost to us all...

Reply to
351CJ

Except that, contrary to your assertion, my choice doesn't have any effect on your options. If anything, it improves your options. Satellite radio, at least for me, has far and away better quality (sound as well as content) than AM/FM. It's worth it to me to pay for it. If you don't want to, that's up to you. As far as the "loss" regarding AM/FM, I'm noticing that the quality of the few AM/FM stations that I listen to is improving - they know that they have to improve to keep from losing more customers.

Another reason that your above analogy doesn't make any sense is that, the actions you speak of are ILLEGAL. I'm not doing anything illegal, and what I'm doing does not directly contribute to any decline of AM/FM at all. In fact, as I asserted above, I think that AM/FM radio is improving becuase of it.

And again, my other problem with you is that, once again, you turn to direct insults. You describe me (per your analogy) as careless, rude, selfish, out of control, etc. Where do you get off describing me that way? We've never met, and we've never even conversed at all before this thread. Have you ever heard of common decency, or treating others with a semblance of respect? I disagree with you just as much as you do I, but I haven't called you one name yet. I respect your opinion, even if I disagree with it. It would be nice if you thought the same and treated me with some sense of common decency.

This is a democracy, and it's called free enterprise. If the AM/FM stations were putting out programming with the quality of satellite radio, there wouldn't be any problem. You want analogies, OK, I've got one for you. How about slide rules and calculators (I'm showing my age now). When calculators first hit the market in the '70's, who needed a slide rule anymore? Yeah, calculators cost more than slide rules, but it was worth it, as they were much more accurate, and a lot faster. Were the people who went out and got calculators "rude, selfish, etc." for doing that? No, because it was an improved product and worth the extra cost. If you want to stick with your "slide rule", that's fine - it's your choice. But if the "slide rule" business suffers becuase of improved quality, that's not my fault for buying a "calculator".

Or another analogy. Free radio was at it's peak in the '30's and '40's. Then television came along, and all the shows moved to TV. As a matter of fact, if I wanted to hear some of those old classic radio shows, could I hear them on AM/FM now? No. But I there's a channel entirely dedicated to these shows on XM.

Should we have stuck with radio because TV sets were so much more expensive than radio? Or maybe we should've stuck with horse drawn carriages, since they were a lot less expensive than automobiles.

As far as your comments about "if nobody paid for radio", that's just not true. Satellite radio only started about five years ago. People have been demanding that AM/FM radio improve for decades now. Despite that, the content of AM/FM radio has been declining since the '40's.

And the better chance that free radio will improve its content, in an attempt to compete with satellite radio. Without this competition, why would they have any incentive to do so?

I am looking at the big picture. Your version of the big picture seems to be that you like free radio, and want everyone else to conform to your standards in order to retain the status quo for your benefit. In other words, from what I can tell, to you, the big picture seems to be you. If you prefer save some money and listen to mediocre programming, that's your choice, and I support that. Just don't expect the rest of us to conform to your standards in order to retain your status quo. And don't blame us for the poor quality of free radio - it's been declining for a long time - long before satellite radio was even close to a reality.

It's not costing you anything at all. The AM/FM stations put themselves in this position, with the poor quality of programming and the glut of ads.

Reply to
Ken Zwyers

Use CDEx - fast, simple, and practically automatic. All you have to do is put in the disc and hit 2 buttons. It will organize your ripped files any way you want, and it has better legal standing(fair use) than d/l from the internet. I did my whole CD collection over the course of a week while I was working on other stuff at the computer.

Reply to
drsmith

Read it again, I described inconsiderate dog owners that way. Are you one of them too???

You are comparing an improved product (calculator VS slide rule) with an entire change in corporate revenue generation schemes (non listener pay verses pay to listen), They are not the same thing.

I have no problem with the product improvement, if indeed it is that, my problem is with the revised corporate revenue generation schemes being swallowed hook line and sinker by so many consumers.

The progression from FREE radio to FREE TV was not a problem. Just a the progression from FREE standard TV to FREE HDTV is not a problem. Again, it's the revised corporate revenue generation schemes, not the product.

My issue is not with your choice of what you perceive as a better product, or even that product on it's face, it is with your total willingness to accept this revised corporate revenue generation scheme and any other that comes down the pike in the name of getting a better product...

Like I said, to each his own, enjoy your pay radio at what results in cost to us all, in the way directly changes how American pay for and receive their products...

Reply to
351CJ

They have a channel on XM dedicated to the old serial shows of the 30' & 40's like the Dark Shadow? If so I now have a reason to get XM.

Oh and know I am not showing my age, but if you've never heard the intro to the Dark Shadow you don't know what you are missing.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men...." the Shadow do!

Reply to
Zombywoof

considerate,

As I mentioned in my last response, you're making a direct analogy that people who buy satellite radio are just like inconsiderate dog owners. That means that your opinion of them is analogous to your opinion of us. And that was not necessary. It was rude and uncalled for, as you could make your point just as well without the name calling.

That's the point, it is an improved product. And, since it's improved, it costs more. As such, it's everyone's choice as to whether the additional price is worth the benefit. To some, it's not, and that's just fine. But, conversely, to some it is worth the added expense, and there's nothing wrong with that, either.

You're making it sound so revolutionary, when in fact, it's very simple. Free radio can only produce so much quality (and I use the term "quality" loosely). For improved quality, it's going to cost money to do it. If you're satisfied with free radio, great, more power to you. But, just the same, I have the right to decide to pay for better quality radio, without having all the problems of free radio blamed on me. The quality of free radio has been declining steadily since the late 40's, 50 years before satellite radio ever came along.

Do you think that the work to create these advances comes at no cost? Like anything else in our society, if you want better quality, it's going to cost. There's nothing wrong with the fact that I choose to pay for better quality. If you don't want to, that's fine as well, as we both are entitled to our choice, not just you.

First of all, you make it sound like free radio is going to be gone in two weeks. There's no sign of any type of crisis in the free radio realm. And, if there were, it's called progress. There's one constant in our world, and that's change. Yeah, I'd like it a lot if we went back to a time where there weren't elaborate touchdown (and sack) celebrations, where gas cost $0.27, and where people didn't feel like they had to be accessible via a cell phone 24x7. But you know what, those days are long gone. Get over it. You want to live in the past, that's your choice. Just quit pretending that change is everyone else's fault. Maybe the problem is that you're too inflexible to even budge on what you want. Nah, it's not your fault - it's everyone else's, right?

I'm tired of wasting my time on this. I doubt that you're going to consider anything that I have to say on the subject, and that's a shame. Please be assured that I did listen to what you had to say, and considered it before responding. And for whatever it's worth, at least I know MY shortcomings. So I'm going to killfilter you, so I won't be tempted to continue to respond. I hope that you eventually have the ability to expand your horizons, at least to the point that you don't feel the need to blame others because the world around you is changing.

Reply to
Ken Zwyers

Yeah, it's my in-laws' favorite channel - channel 164.

I'm too young for the original shows of The Shadow, but I've certainly heard the opening. Don't know about the younger generation, but I don't know how anyone my age (45) or older could have not heard it!

Reply to
Ken Zwyers