Next Specialty Mustang - '07 GT/CS

In 1968, a limited edition Mustang called the GT/CS 'California Special' which was based on the Shelby Mustang GT was offered through California's Western Region Ford Dealers. Due to its low production numbers and clean styling, the 'California Special' Mustang was an instant hit and remains one of the most popular and sought after Mustangs today.

Fast forward to current times, where the retro-styled Mustang has single handily re-launched an explosion of interest in American Muscle cars, and you'll agree that the timing couldn't be better to reintroduce a limited edition Mustang such as the GT/CS 'California Special'.

Well, that's exactly what Ford plans to do in 2007. Although details are scarce at this point, some of the features you can expect in the

2007 GT/CS 'California Special' Mustang are:
  • Hood Scoop * Side Scoops * Re-Designed Front Fascia * GT/CS Decals along the front fender and door * Custom Intake Engine Cover * Heated Two-Tone Leather * Suede Like Seat Inserts * Rearview Mirror with Compass * Possible Ducktail Spoiler * Available in both coupe and convertible models * Exterior colors include: Black, Redfire, Performance White and Vista Blue

With the reintroduction of the Mustang GT/CS 'California Special' in 2007, there seems to be no end to what Ford has in store for Mustang Enthusiasts.

All I can say is, Keep'em coming Ford!!!

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Except back in the day these cars seem to have been made in whatever volume they could be sold in....

Grabber, Twister special, and Mustang 'E'?

Maybe a Grande?

Reply to
Brent P

Like the 72 Sprint.... sales slowing? slap some stripes on, color coordinate the interior, add a couple more little items, call it a Sprint, and sell it in small numbers, and sales climb a bit......

Reply to
Spike

Are you SURE? Not the way I remember it.

What was the name of the dealer who had to build his own performance mustangs because the factory couldnt/wouldnt supply enough?

Yeah... bring back them vinyl roofs, too! "And we'll hug him and squeeze him and pet him and call him "Gordo"

Pfaaahh!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ahhh yes the sprint... then there is of course the stallion.

Reply to
Brent P

Look up how many 1969 428s were made. Somewhere I have a book with sales figures... From the histories I've learned ford tried to sell as many of whatever it was as they could make except for things like the BOSS 429 etc.. So yes, I probably phrased the above badly since the numbers that could be sold may have outstripped manufacturing capability, but my point is the same, ford didn't throttle production purposely because they decided that's what was best marketing wise.

The whole point of bringing the Shelby Mustang inside ford was to increase production and of course sales. What was it? The left-over '69s became 70s as I recall... something like that.

There were several packages on many fords that were dealer driven. Never heard it had anything to do with performance.

Reply to
Brent P

Was it Tasca Ford?

Bob Tasca, Sr., Inducted 2003 Founder, Tasca Ford, Providence, Rhode Island. During the nineteen sixties Tasca Ford was synonymous with Ford Performance. Mr. Tasca coined the term, "Win on Sunday. Sell on Monday." He was the father of the Cobra Jet 428 and a key sponsor for the Boss 429. Over the decades, he effectively used his strong influence at Ford to keep the Mustang true to its heritage as it has progressed from the 2nd on through to the 5th generation vehicles.

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

EXACTLY! Hall of FAME!!!!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

wrote

No ti wasn't. It was based on "Little Red" a concept mustang coupe that Shelby designed.

Too bad it still won't be that original. The originals were based on coupes. There is no coupe really anymore, they're all fastbacks. Easy to do the Mach

1's since they were all originally fastbacks, easy to do the Bullitt since it was originally a fastback. Easy to do the Shelby since they were all fastbacks or convertibles. How they gonna pull off making a fastback into a coupe? Or is it going to just be special stickers the buyer gets to pay an extra $2000 for?
Reply to
Blue Mesteno

"Brent P" wrote

No it was EXACTLY that. Add 2 hood stripes and change the VIN. Voila' You have a '70 Shelby.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

...and in 2010 Ford will retire the Fusion and reintroduce the Pinto.

Reply to
Joe

The focus is in the pinto's slot...

Reply to
Brent P

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:- _idnZUl1ZosJYXZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I was hoping that by '10, Ford would have small RWDrivers.

Reply to
Joe

One way might be to do what has been done in the past... It rolls off the assembly line and is trucked to some specialty shop, which cuts off the back half of the roof, redoes the liner, slams some glass in place, and charges an outrageous price. Like tuning out a 'vette with the added body panels until it has the out and in lines of a viper... top it off with a 4 foot tall ricer wing and....

Reply to
Spike

And tail lights from a 97 Thunderbird?? LOL!!!

Reply to
WindsorFox

that would be nice... but I doubt we'll see that... about all there is in small RWD cars are the rollerskate sports cars like the miata and it's BMW counterpart that I can't fit in.

Reply to
Brent P

With the reintroduction of the Mustang GT/CS 'California Special'

Except back in the day these cars seem to have been made in whatever volume they could be sold in....

Grabber, Twister special, and Mustang 'E'?

Maybe a Grande?

I think another to come out soon will be a "Boss" model with a normally aspirated 5.4 under the hood.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L