'09 Challenger compared to '71 Mustang

The '09 Dodge Challenger is out in the mags (C&D, R&T, etc.) in "Preview" type stories. This thing is huge -- wider than the Dodge Charger, whose platform is its jumping off point. I got to wondering how it compares to that old battleship of a ponycar, the '71-'73 Mustang. Here's what I found:

'09 Challenger vs. '71-'73 Mustang:

Length: 197.8 vs. 189.5 Height: 57.0 vs. 50.1 Width: 75.7 vs. 74.1 Wheelbase: 116.0 vs. 109.0 Weight: 4150 vs. 3300

Regarding performance, it's generally agreed that the '71 Boss 351 was the quickest of this third generation, and possibly the quickest stock Mustang of the classic era. Although stock performance is a recurring bone of contention around here, it's safe to say that a Boss 351 (352 ci, 330 hp @ 5400, 370 lb-ft @ 4000) could run 0-60 in about 5.8 and that a good one will do 13.8 in the quarter. Top speed was 135-145 mph. Regarding the '09 Charger (370 ci, 425 hp @ 6200, 420 lb-ft @

4800), C&D estimates that it will do 0-60 in 4.7, 13.1 in the quarter, and top out at 173.

Oh, and Dodge estimates mpg of 13/18. That 18 mpg highway of course depends on an O.D. tranny, something that the classic Mustang never got. With a 1:1 top gear I'm guessing the Challenger would be on a par with, or less efficient than, a Boss 351.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

The main difference to me is that the new Dodge is not available with a manual transmission.

rd

Reply to
RD Jones

Yes, the new Challenger is huge. Blame the platform -- the LX sedan's

-- for the size/heft.

The new Hemi is a thirsty beast. The Hemi Magnum I drove up to Michigan an X-mas ago sucked down the fuel despite me continually nailing the throttle and every stoplight and opening on the freeway. :-)

I must admit the Dodge bulls-eyed the new Challenger. There isn't a detail they missed to make it a better version of the original. It's spot on! My only bitch is -- guess what? -- the tonnage. But from what they had to work with to create it, they did a fine job.

New Challenger = A -

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L
2009 will have manual. 2008 is auto only. " Both the R/T and SRT8 will offer an optional six-speed TREMEC manual transmission. Production of the 2009 models is set to start early, in June of 2008"

Reply to
Falcon Guy

Sheer power & speed aside, I'm wondering how "sporty" anything with a

116 inch wheelbase will be........wasn't that the Impala/Bonneville/LeSabre/88 wheelbase from 1977 on?

One's expectations for "sporty" handling and "feel" are different for a family sedan vs ponycar.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click