2001 GT, Hard Starting When Cold

I've got a 2001 GT automatic with ~83K miles. Recently it's become hard to start when cold. I'll turn the ignition, and the motor turns over and starts up, but as soon as I let go of the key, the engine dies.

If I apply the gas after starting and before I let go of the key and keep the tach at 1500 until I hear the motor "go down" (i.e., drop a bit in tone and seem to run smoother) then it runs just fine.

What gives?

Oh, and Kate, I'm going to try your Magic Eraser trick this weekend with bumper bugs. I was plumb ate up with love-bugs driving back and forth from Louisiana in Katrina's aftermath, and I scrubbed them off at each fill up (which was usually every 100 miles just in case the next stop didn't have gas). I got the vast majority of gunk off, but I can still feel some bumpy residue on the bumper. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

- Max - ======= Do you know what it means To miss New Orleans And miss it each night and day . . .

Max C. Webster III