2003 Tacoma not starting!

Hi all, I am on my last leg her, and about to begin arbitration with Toyota. The problem I have is with a brand new 2003 Tacoma V6, auto 2wd.

Here is the description of the problem:

  1. I put the key in the ignition
  2. I turn the key to start (never touch the gas pedal)
  3. The engine turns, and briefly starts
  4. Once the engine starts, I let the starter go
  5. Engine runs several cycles and dies!

This only happens when the engine is cold. Engine will usually start the second try after this. This happens at random, but will usually hit my about 4 times a week once a month. The vehicle has 8000 miles on it, and the dealer has done nothing for me. They say that since they can't duplicate it, they can't fix it. They won't even look under the hood.

Has anyone here experienced anything similar? I am frustrated and don't know what to do. The only thing I can do is go to arbitration with Toyota.

If you don't want to answer to the group, please email me direct to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thanks, John

sounds like a bad ECU.... it's the only thing that really controls the engine. anything else i would guess would cause the problem all the time.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

This may be due to the longer than average self test that Toyota seems to have on their Engine Elecrtronics. I have started to hold the key in start for a second after the engine "starts". Not long enough to grind, but the extra time to pass the ECU Self Test.

Reply to
MB

I had a similar problem with my Tacoma (v6) but it only did that when it was warm. Then I would have to crank it over a couple more seconds and it would go. They said it was a faulty valve of some sort... I didn't get to talk to a mechanic to really figure out what was going on.

BW San Diego

Reply to
Woody