2004 V6 Engine Size

I just bought a new 2004 Mustang with a 3.9L engine. I thought the earlier 2004 engines were 3.8L. The new 2005 engine is 4.0L. Anybody know why they came out with the interim 3.9L engine?

The order code shows 120A-PREM COUPE V6 --the final assembly point was DEARBORN. The salesman at the Dealership said this unit was one of the last off the assembly line according to the VIN Number. Any thoughts?? Thanks, Lobem

Reply to
Donald E. Morgan

The 2004 V6 is a 3.8, where do you see a 3.9L reference?

Reply to
WraithCobra

Mike-- It's on the MSRP sticker--under the Fuel Economy Information--it shows City MPG 19--Highway MPG 26---Then:

" 2004 MUSTANG 3.9 liter engine, 6 Cylinders (Feedback Fuel System), Fuel injection Catalyst, 4-Speed Automatic Transmission."

Reply to
Donald E. Morgan

Typo mabye?

Mike

D> Mike-- It's on the MSRP sticker--under the Fuel Economy

Reply to
WraithCobra

"A new V-6 was available in 2004--a 3.9L OHV V-6. The engine replaced the 3.8L V-6, but did not offer an increase in power, weight, or fuel efficiency. The engine code for the 3.9 was a 6 rather than a 4 for the

3.8."

Whaddaya know...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Learn something new everyday.

Mike

tra>> The 2004 V6 is a 3.8, where do you see a 3.9L reference?

Reply to
WraithCobra

It seems kinda' odd to have just the one-year-only 3.9 liter. I'll bet it's still the "Essex" family engine, though, which I think is still the power for the Freestar. Probably Ford in an affort to distance themselves for the dismal 3.8 longevity issues in the Taurus/Windstar. The 4.0 is most likely a 90 degree Essex V-6 too. Mustang/SN12 folks know this was a good engine in the RWD cars. The 4.0 will have 210hp... wow! Anyone have a good link to the tech specs on the 4.0?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

'Good' is a relative term...here are 'some'

The 2005 Mustang V-6 is powered by a new 4.0-liter, 60-degree, single-overhead-cam engine, replacing the 3.8-liter 90-degree pushrod engine in the 2004 model.

and a drawing:

and some basic specs from Ford:

Dinsdale

Rob,

Did you mean MN12 (T-bird/Cougar/Lincoln chassis after the 'birds left the Fox chassis) or SN95 (The Mustang Fox update)? In either event, the 3.8's a strong runner for what it is, and now has quite the following in the Mustang. I'm not sure why they were having longevity issues in the vans... maybe the extra weight. Did they really put the 3.8L in the Taurus? Why they'd stroke it out another 0.1L is beyond me. I don't think they'll fool anyone if they go with a 3.9 instead of 4.0.

I'm curious as to if the new 4.0 Mustang engine will be based on the 3.8L block or if it has an entirely new block / engine family?

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to
Donald E. Morgan

MN12... oh well...

The 3.8 was a terrible FWD engine in the Taurus... inevitable head gasket problems among other issues.

Another poster points out the new 4.0 is in fact a 60 degree V-6. Is this a Cologne-based mill (nee-Capri-Pinto-Ranger-Bronco II-Explorer)?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Think I've got it figured out. It looks like the 3.9L V6 they put in my Mustang is the engine they are using in the Ford Freestar for 2005. Even though they say no increase in power, weight, etc., thats not quite true. The HP is up slightly, and the torque is up about 20 lb-ft. over the 3.8L V6. I am happy--it's a great driver, and the torque is fantastic. The torque at 240@3,750 is greater than the new 2005 4.0L V6 at 235@5000-- now I'm really happy. Lobem

Reply to
Donald E. Morgan