88 Mustang LX 2.3L acting strange

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I just purchased a

1988 Mustang LX convertible w/ 2.3L 4 banger. The car seems to be in pretty good shape for the year that it is. It has 116,000 miles on it. My problem start when you first crank it up. It idles like crap and sometimes is hard to start. Now once the car warms up it seems to run fine. Until it gets real warm. It has stalled out on me 3 times while on the road. the last 2 stalls it didn't want to restart and when it would crank it was acting like is was starving for gas but you can smell it running rich and small backfires in the exhaust. Also, gas mileage is absolutely terrible. I can only get about 200miles out of a tank of gas. Not good for a 4 banger. Well, while searching for a solution I have done the following. New Plugs, Plug Wires, New TFI Module, New Air Filter, Cleaned Idle Air control Valve, and have put fuel injector cleaner in the fuel system. These are some other things I have noticed. The brake pedal is stiff, when you pump the brakes the idle speed increases and then acts as if it wants to choke down. Car has not over heated, temp stay at low normal temps. Also when car is put into gear it acts like it wants to choke down. Idle speed is set at 900rpm. Thanks for any help.
Reply to
havef8th

Sounds like a vacuum leak in the brake area. Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT P-1SC & Some MM Stuff

havef8th wrote:

Reply to
Gill

Sounds like the idle control circuit is dirty or the but, if you hear any hissing sounds or a whistle then change are that the vac buster has a leak. Did you pull the codes using the KOEO test?

Hi all,

Reply to
Richard

Sounds like almost the same problem I have. I got better gas milleage by replacing the egr valve, mine was beyond repair. I recommend you check yours. I cannot get more than 250 miles/tank, these car are famous for wasting gas and having too little horse power. The iddle is also crappy, feels rough. Driving this car for half an hour non stop kills you, I can even feel the iddle in the pedals.

Reply to
Pepito

I had a '93 LX 2.3 Convertible 5-speed. I *almost* ripped 400 miles out of one tank. I averaged somewhere around 325 a tank with mixed driving. The

390 or so miles was a long trip that ended in my home town (which meant I knew I could coast/push to a gas station if necessary)

Yes, they're dogs. I lost to a dump truck from an uphill redlight... until I hit 3rd anyway. But it got decent mileage, convertible and all.

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to
Pepito

Sigh...

when it gives you problems... push accel to floor while cranking, does it start okay then?

If so, too rich. And you most likely have a badly leaking fuel pressure regulator.

Other things to look for: The MAP sensor, ECT or possibly even the TPS

The 88 2.3L is designed for economy and you should get 27 mpg freeway and about 20 around town

If a dumptruck beats you you either dont have a clue how to drive or that engine is in REALLY bad shape

Google search groups for the abbrevs or go to the library and read Probst books

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Is there any good books that tell you how to change some of these parts. I bought a Haynes manual for this car and frankly it sucks. I know where the TPS is located, but where are the MAP, ECT, and Fuel Regulator located? Or is there a webpage that I can go to. Since I posted my first message my problems have resulted in the car not starting now. I have checked the timing and it is correct or correct enough for it to start. The plugs are wet and I am getting spark. It might fire every now and then but it will not start to save my life. I'm glad I bought this as a secondary car but I would like for it to run. Thanks for any help and for the help you have already given me.

Reply to
havef8th

havef8th

Well, it wont hurt to pull the tube from top of the FPR and see if it's full of gas... if so could still be the problem.

When you say plugs are wet... are they REALLY VERY wet? strong gas smell?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yes they are really wet and a very strong gas smell.

Reply to
havef8th

havef8th opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Then the FPR, arent you lucky!

Still could be the ECT but symptoms fit FPR as it got progressively worse.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

havef8th opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

And change the oil too

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I will change out the regulator this weekend. I will follow up to let ya'll know if this fixed my problem. I appreciate all of the help.

Reply to
havef8th

And as they say "That's all folks!". The regulator was the problem. replaced it and it fired right up. Runs great. Now I can start tweaking. Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
havef8th

Good... now please start at your original post and read down carefully.

I find your handle highly ironic!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic