Sorta OT - 1994 Lightning Engine into '68 Mustang

Howdy All -

I bought a 1994 Lightning engine today (EFI 351W roller motor with iron GT40 style heads), with the intention of putting it into my 1968 Mustang coupe. The coupe is a 289 2bbl with C4 auto tranny, power steering and non-power brakes.

I love the specs for this new engine - gobs of torque and a fair chunk of horsepower. My question is, what are the most commonly done things to these engines to boost performance? If this were your vehicle, what would you do to it to liven things up a bit?

My goal is to beat my buddy who owns a 2004 Mustang Cobra - a factory blown 4.6 putting out 390HP and 390 lb-ft torque. The Lightning engine is rated at 240HP and 340 lb-ft torque, so I am close on torque but I want to get the total HP up as well.

I have been looking at the Ford Racing blower for the 1994 Lightning. It's only about two grand and at 6psi boost bumps HP and torque by around 30%.

Thoughts?

Thanks! Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron

The first thing you should contemplate is a different tranny. I am not sure that C4 will stand up to the output of the new engine without any mods.

Dave D

Reply to
Dave D

Sorry, I didn't mention - I am planning on changing to a T56 six-speed manual.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron