New type of brakes??

With its EWB (Electronic Wedge Brake), Siemens is aiming for a revolution in braking system technology for passenger cars. Compared to today?s hydraulic brakes, the EWB is more efficient, responds faster, requires far less energy, reduces a vehicle?s weight and saves space. At the International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt (the show runs until September 26), automotive supplier Siemens VDO announced its entry into this multi-billion-euro market. Before the end of this year, the company wants to make the EWB available in a test vehicle.

The electronic wedge brake works by a similar principle to that used in brakes for horse-drawn carriages, where a wedge was used to bring the wheel to a standstill. The EWB, however, relies on sophisticated sensor technology and electronics to prevent the brakes from locking and ensure highly efficient and controlled braking (see the following report). The wedge uses a vehicle?s kinetic energy, converting it into braking energy. By reinforcing itself this way, the EWB needs only one tenth of the actuating energy required by today's hydraulic braking systems. Given this superior efficiency, the EWB will also have smaller dimensions, which will reduce total vehicle weight. What?s more, the EWB will dispense with the need for brake lines, a servo-unit and a brake fluid reservoir. This will free up a volume of about 22 liters in the engine compartment, giving vehicle designers additional scope.

Likewise, the nearly ubiquitous antilock braking systems (ABS) and the less common electronic stability programs will be replaced by the software integrated into the EWB system. Plans call for a new algorithm to take on these functions, enabling the EWB to react faster than ABS systems. While a conventional ABS takes between 140 and 170 milliseconds to generate full braking power, the EWB needs only about

100 milliseconds and therefore shortens the braking distance because a car covers the distance of 1.40 meters in one second at a speed of 100 kilometers per hour. This also means the wedge brake will play an important role in making it possible for drivers to keep vehicles under control even in difficult situations.

And the principle behind the electronic wedge brake isn?t only suitable for use in passenger cars: Trucks and trailers also could be equipped with the EWB. Today?s wedge technology can be used to brake virtually any spinning object. Possible applications include systems for elevators, high-speed trains, and for motors used in automation and conveyance technologies.

This news is brought to you by PhysOrg.com

Reply to
Rich

Just like a drum brake.

Reply to
Big Al

Exactly what I was going to say. Like the self-energizing drum brake.

It is still a friction brake, just a different mechanical design and uses electric actuation.

Now magnetic brakes for an automotive application would really be something. Never replace brake pads again!

Reply to
Brent P

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

It's still pretty cool in that it dumps the whole hydraulic system as well as the parking brake. Read on:

Joe

Rich wrote in news:102kj1drlksogpa68v4vg1o0ev0o38ab4d@

4ax.com:

Sorry.... I aint buying it...I have no doubt this is in the works but I aint holding my breath...

For one thing, I would have liked to see the (e-week) Slideshow actually give SOME idea of how it worked. I make out some "rollers-in-slots" which implies that the inner pad moves rotationally in relation to the outer pad.

(For another the Eweek article references a slideshow on Siemems which apparently is hidden, and the brake is not mentioned at all in hteir automotive technology index)

"Wedge" ... anyone who has experimented with 'wedge' motion stopping knows the obvious problem to be solved. In fact the wedge brake did not work well on the wagon wheel, long term. Look at any studebaker or conestoga type wagon and you'll see the levered shoe system.

"Reduces weight" - how MUCH weight? I see a caliper there... are we to assume that, somehow, the caliper is lighter? How much does a booster and master cylinder weigh?

And braking forces produce an exact amount of bleed-heat, which is independent of the technology used.

This PR crap brings to mind the 'space-age ceramic engine block' hype of a few decades ago... wonder how that's coming?

Not to mention the Wonder-Wankel.... 'higher efficiency, less polluting' we all heard about, before it hit production.

I'll believe it when I see it on their F1 cars.... WITHOUT a conventional system to back it up.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic