Dead battery, then smoking wires after jump attempt

I have a 92 LX 5.0 notchback, and I got into the car today and it wouldn't start (engine would barely click). Radio and lights looked fine, but figured it was a weak battery. I tried jumping it but the engine would turn very slowly and would not start. Tried to jump again with a car that had a heavy-duty battery, and some smoke starting coming out of one of the wires that's attached to the side of the engine compartment. I guess this a solenoid or something? The battery connects to this box on the side, then smaller wires come from the box and go underneath.

Anyway the smoke was bad enough I thought it was going to catch fire. After getting back in my car I noticed the engine won't even click now when I try to start it and the radio is dead. I assume something got fried, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions on what that wire may be and what I have to fix?

thanks

Reply to
chron78

Two possibilities...

A shorted starter winding. Will cause the deadening slow cranking.

and/or

You had a bad wire/terminal crimp connection in that wire. You are going to have to replace that wiring that smoked, whatever.

OR you had both; a low batt and that wire crimp was bad

Test for a bad connection/battery, BTW, is to watch the lights WHILE cranking.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1127947332.106394.284070 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
cprice

Thanks for the replies. I got the car started by popping the clutch and it ran fine but the battery was not charging. Installed a new battery and so far so good.

The wire that was smoking looks like it might be ok, except for the rubber that burnt off. Probably got too hot. The jumper cables also got very hot while trying to jump the car, even though everything was connected correctly. Seems a mystery why the wires were overheating.. Maybe something to do with the bad battery.

Reply to
chron78

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1128010446.086321.46470 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Whatever... that COULD be right, of course... but anyone who knows anything about Electricity Wiring will tell you that cable is NOW subpar and at some time in the future give you problems.

Better keep a close eye on it and your voltmeter.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Similar condition, but it wouldn't start by jumping until the battery was brought up far enough...

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

Sounds like maybe you had the wires backwards going onto your car and fried the starter solenoid.

Reply to
66 6F HCS