3.73 gears... quick question

Should I buy a bearing kit as well? Gears are arriving *today* (attempted delivery once already--I was sleeping). How risky is it to re-use old bearings, etc?

-Mike

98 Mustang GT
Reply to
<memset

Well... I'm gonna try w/out. Stupid, maybe... but I'm gonna try it. It's an extra $80-$85 here... I already set up an appointment w/ a performance shop that I trust. I told him that I wanted to reuse old bearings & he said that he's done it on plenty of Mustangs in the past & nobody has come back saying it has caused them trouble. He's sort of a friend of mine too, so I don't really think he's feeding me a line.. we'll see. I go in Monday at 1:00PM to get the gears installed.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

The guy that did mine said he wouldn't install new gears without the install kit with seals and bearings. It was an extra $60 I believe. I got the kit here

and the guy there, though eccentric knows his business and is *the* guy that racers all over the country goto and he agreed, it's cheap insurance. He's the guy that told me AFTER I bought a PowerTrax locked, not to buy one. He was right about that too...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Also meant to ask... what do you think of Royal Purple full synthetic gear lube? He says he recommends it.. and it's a full synthetic so I figure why not.. I've heard good things about Royal Purple..

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Most people say over 70K miles they should be replaced just added insurance against haveing to do it a few months down the road. I paid

110 for the R&P install kit from a Ford Racing dealer. Included all bearings and stuff. I also bought the trak-lok rebuild kit too for 60bucks just so I wont have to have it done a few months down the road. I paid 150 for the install through a ford tech who does it on the side. The ford kit includes everything to rebuild the whole rearend.
Reply to
John R Wiebalk

The few tests I have seen put it on ly slightly behind Amsoil, so it's probably pretty close. The thing that worries me most about Royal Purple was their attempt to use data collected on tests of used motor oil, the tests were totally unscientific. I do know that the Royal Purple motor oil started the cleaning job on my engine that between it and Amsoil cleaned the crap left from Castrol.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Cool. It's piss easy to change gear lube anyway, so I'll probably end up switching to Amsoil gear lube in 10k-15k miles anyway. I just picked up the gears... damn they're sexy & heavy. 3.73++.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Because of the precise nature of setting up a set of gears properly, it is really silly to not put new bearings on at the same time. It is very much like disassembling your entire engine the putting it back together with the same old bearings and rings... You should really do it right.

Why waist money on synthetic gear lube, while you are reusing the old bearings?

Reply to
351CJ

When they opened up the rear end on my car, the bearings were toast and it only had something like 36000 miles on it then! There were no signs of anything being wrong at all. There were shavings and the bearings had major pitting. I mean MAJOR areas of abnormal wear.

Don't risk it, go ahead and change them. It will save you money in the long run by not having to pay the labor a second time to have it all torn apart a second time.

Kate

| > > -Mike | > > 98 Mustang GT | > >

| > The guy that did mine said he wouldn't install new gears without | > the install kit with seals and bearings. It was an extra $60 I | > believe. I got the kit here

and the guy| > there, though eccentric knows his business and is *the* guy that| > racers all over the country goto and he agreed, it's cheap insurance.| > He's the guy that told me AFTER I bought a PowerTrax locked, not to| > buy one. He was right about that too...| >

| > -- | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Oh, forgot to add, I got my install kit from Summit and the shipping (then) was free. Got the aluminum drive shaft at the same time.

Kate

| > -Mike | > 98 Mustang GT | >

| Most people say over 70K miles they should be replaced just added | insurance against haveing to do it a few months down the road. I paid | 110 for the R&P install kit from a Ford Racing dealer. Included all | bearings and stuff. I also bought the trak-lok rebuild kit too for | 60bucks just so I wont have to have it done a few months down the road. | I paid 150 for the install through a ford tech who does it on the side. | The ford kit includes everything to rebuild the whole rearend.

Reply to
SVTKate

Good point, if you have to go back in 8 months and change the berings it's just like a full installation. ANd this is very possible becauce the bearings are worn to the adjustment of the current gears. The new set will have it's own adjustment and will be different, putting load on the bearings ans the seals in different ways and places causing it to wear out a lot faster than it normally would. After asking around a couple of guys more expert than myself have said put it off until you can afford to buy the installation kit. Check Zimmer's Ebay acutions or email him and see if he has it for less than your local place, he sells a LOT of stuff. He also knows more about that stuff than anyone else cares to clogg their mind with.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Maybe you bought it from THIS Ford dealer? Read the ultimate reply in my thread, then follow the link I put there to see the original thread...

WindsorFox[SS]

WOAH!!! That is unreal! So, the money was returned and all is right with the world then I suppose?

Damn, I prolly would have gone to jail.

Kate

| > Don't risk it, go ahead and change them. It will save you money in the long | > run by not having to pay the labor a second time to have it all torn apart a | > second time. | >

| > Kate | >

| | Maybe you bought it from THIS Ford dealer? Read the ultimate reply in | my thread, then follow the link I put there to see the original | thread...

Reply to
SVTKate

That's what I said, I think Idda cold cocked that GM for his attitude alone.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]