5.0 Coolant Mystery

I had a pin hole in the radiator house near the block. Fortunately my mechanic had better than 2020 vision to spot it.

Reply to
Dave Combs

So why don't you just pressure test the system. If the pressure bleeds down it has to leave a tell tale sign (puddle) somewhere.

Reply to
Richard

You and I are in the same place. I've been told that the water pump seal has a small leak, and will need replacing soon. No signs of a coolant leak here, either, but I do top off the radiator fluid periodically.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

It could be a number of things. As BY mentioned, it might be a leaking head gasket. This could show as steam exiting the exhaust but sometimes that isn't the case. A mechanic can check for the presence of hydrocarbons in your coolant and tell if combustion gases are leaking through the head gasket. This won't tell if the leak is one-way (i.e. if the coolant is leaking into the chamber). Other than this it would have to be leaking somewhere, somehow. It might be a slow leak that happens in a place that won't leave a puddle. Also, you might check the heater core but this usually is obvious from the smell of coolant and/or a steamed up windshield. My Explorer had a leak I couldn't find and it turned out to be a crack in a plastic distribution piece next to the firewall. Only after it broke completely did I find it. Good luck, finding a slow coolant leak can be a real PITA.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

You crack me up!

Reply to
KJ.Kate

"KJ.Kate" wrote in news:QsjVf.5051 $ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

"...but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to f*ckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Seriously, both the plugs and pipes look fine. Don't think there's an engine or head gasket problem. As soon as school's done I'm going to take it in and have them do a pressure test.

Reply to
Joe