66 Mustang paint questions

Two questions, both have likely been answed before as I pop out of my lurking mode
1) How hard is it to DIY a paint job? I know there is stripping, sanding and
Bondo stuff to take up many hours of my time. Is it better to just get it all ready for paint and take it in? How hard are metalics?
2) I'm not sure what color to paint ( I don't want to stick with white) what was the link for all the piant chips for all the mustangs?
I seached google for about 30 min and though why don't I just ask? Thanks for your your time!
--
Joe Boster
66 oxford white 200ci coupe

and
Answer is, it depends. I just had my '69 Sportsroof done. They did an awesome job. Jut look at the pics here... http://home.comcast.net/~scott.williams.613/interest.htm While my car was there, a '65 coupe came in that the owner had done as much as he could and then brought it in for paint. The shop ended up stripping everything to redo it. A reputable, quality shop will most likely not guarantee the paint unless they know what they're putting it on. Course you can always go to Earl Scheib for the paint, but even they will want to scuff your work just to make sure it'll stick (for a year or so anyways). I've known some guys that have doen awesome work in their own garages, but they had lotsa practice. Metallics are harder to shoot because they don't lay down really smooth, it has a lot to do with the size of the metal flake in the paint. I saw a 7 series BMW that the owner had painted with bass boat metal flake color shift lime green crap. The paint guys hated the stuff since it was so thick they had to shoot it onto the car through a primer gun. Then they had to lay out a lot of clear to bury it. Too many layers of clear just accentuate the problems with the metal flake, but it's the only way to bury it. The car looked like a pimped out POS. It wasn't "smooth" at all and had tons of orange peel with no way to rub it out correctly.

what
Pick out any color you like. I suggest a plain nonmetallic/non pearl color because IMHO they look better on the classics. Cleaner anyways. It is ALWAYS possible to find the SAME color you like without the metal or pearl. This is what I did on my '69. I picked out an Audi pearl blue which was really cool, then I got out the Sikkens color chip book and found the non pearl match. The car is awesome now! You can make it anything you want. It comes down to how much want can afford to spend. You can still get quality work for economy price. My paint only cost $5600 for a complete color change. That included rust repair on both quarters, floor pan, door bottoms, fender aprons. That was a double baked base clear with 3 coats of clear (4 on the hood to bury the stripe). Just look at the pics...glass! Most other places would probably be in the $9000 range for the same work.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS 289

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA

This month's Mustang & Fords has a '66 on the cover done in one of my favorites, Emberglo. Check it out.

Hey people, who has links to DIY paint DVD's?
--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1

Emberglo is a great color. Indian Fire is another favorite of mine. My sister had a Medium Copper 73 Montego 351. Good running car. Look at what they call a Montego now. Something seriously got lost in the gene pool...
-- Mike 93 Cobra
I was thinking the about a dark red, But I also really like that dark silver on the 04s. Bah. I could always just re-paint it white...
Number One wrote:

Desert Lurker wrote:

For me, it's better to hire the job out. I don't have the time, tools, or patience to do it correctly. I'll just screw it up.

Here's how I pick a paint color. Walk around the parking and take a look. That's how I found a Ford Mist Blue for my '69 FB. Oncce you see a color you like, go to the dealership and get the code. Looking at paint chips just doesn't tell me enough.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!