Bigger Tires - question

Gang,

I'm looking to upgrade & put 31-10.5's on my 98 TJ. What is the tire of choice here? My mechanic told me he could get me a good deal on Dunlop A/T Rovers ($95/tire) but I know very little about them. I off road from time to time, not a lot. Is this a good deal or should I pay the extra $$$ for something better?

I was also told bigger tires would rub. Is this true & how is it correctable, if so? And is there anything else I should know while upgrading?

I'm sure this subject has been done to death, so I apologize ahead of time & appreciate any comments.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Da Greyhound and Alicia Silver

31 x 10.5 are a bolt-on on TJs. Issues are slight sidewall to front, lower control arm contact at full lock (minor) and drivability w/ 3.07 gears. As for a tire, I'd skip the Dunlops and go for BFG All Terrain KOs.
Reply to
Jerry McG

Bridgestone makes a Dueler AT Revo with a new compound that's makes them grip better as they get older, especially in rain&snow. Good tire. JD

2K-TJ

"There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
JD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Touche Jerry McG. You should expect light interior rubbing on the front end from extreme turns. This can be corrected with a 1"-2" body lift, or even the RE coil spacers. BFG All-Terrains will be an excellent choice for a all season on&off road tire. I have seen the Dunlop A/Ts wear quickly as compared to the BFG A/Ts. Good Luck.

-Reed

97 TJ 33x1250 Maxxis Mudders SkyJacker 3" Body Lift
Reply to
Reed

I've got a 97 TJ Sahara w/ 3.07 gears and an automatic and am running

31x10.5's easily. I bought it used and it had Pirelli Scorpion A/T tires on it. They're okay. I've not been too impressed with them in the rain on wet pavement. I've done a little off-roading myself, mainly mud, and found that they also pack up quickly. Next time I have an excuse to buy tires, I'm going with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. They're not cheap, but a good choice.

If you get into 31x10.5 tires and they rub, just do the simple steering stop mod discussed in great detail in this group and in this article:

Brad Fuqua

Reply to
Brad Fuqua

Swampers!!!

Reply to
jbjeep

What'd you call me? ;)

Reply to
SB

I think the MT/R's tend to mud up also. I had 31 BFG AT's for a while and I was very happy with them. I now have Goodyear MT/R's. The MT/R's are softer, look more agressive, are louder on the street, and don't corner as well. I am generally happy with the MT/R's though if you don't do too much off roading the AT's might be a better fit.

Reply to
Blueshirts