Renault 19 rear suspension knocking

The rear suspension of my R19 1.4 has started to make a strange noise. I would describe the noise as a loud hollow knock or a loud creak. It's definitely coming from the rear suspension (driver's side) It only occurs when cornering on a bumpy road. Hitting a bump while travelling in a straight line does not produce the sound. Doing a "bounce test" on the rear of the car while stationary does not produce the sound. PS this car has torsion beam rear suspension. Anyone have any ideas what it could be and how easy it would be to fix?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
brian doyle

Shock absorber-knacked or mounting rubbers worn or loose. DaveK

Reply to
DaveK

Just to follow up on this - I decided that the noise was definitely coming from the torsion bar. So I soaked various parts of the bar in engine oil and WD40 and the noise has now disappeared completely. The parts of the bar that I soaked in oil were at the sides where it meet the trailing arms and in the middle where the two halves of the bar meet. Probably only a temporary fix, still better than nothing. And at least I know now that the noise was definitely coming from the bar, not the shocks etc.

B.

Reply to
brian doyle