69 Mustang power steering and headers

Someone welded the stock power steering bracket to the frame, so I am unable to simply unbolt it and install the adapter bracket for use with headers. Does anyone know of an easy workaround? I am trying to avoid having to pull everything out to just make room to grind the welds away.

Reply to
Steve

What engine do you have?

Reply to
John

You might want to figure you why someone welded that there in the first place. To me you may have a bigger issue than not having headers.

Reply to
Antique Muscle

I have a 302 engine, with long tube headers, a/c, and p/s.

Reply to
Steve

The cylinder will fit and bolt to the stock location, the only noticable problem is that the boot touches the headers causing it to melt. I think my p/s system was leaking even before I put the headers in a long time ago, so I don't know if that contributed to any problems. Would the heat from the headers contribute to p/s system issues? Do you think some heat shield wrap around the headers at that point would be sufficient to continue using the stock mounting location?

Reply to
Steve

when i put hooker headers on my 69 351W the new PS bracket was simply longer than the stock one. maybe a good welder could fab and attach an extension to the stock one.

Steve wrote:

Reply to
faust_151

I'd rent one of those hand held die grinders. It's made for tight spots just like this. With a 302 you may be able to rough cut the welds with a

4-1/2" grinder first, then use the die grinder to finish the job.
Reply to
John