70 mustang clutch support bracket?

I'm doing a disc conversion from standard brakes on my 70 mustang fastback. I'm changing out the brake pedal which came with the kit.The new brake pedal must be re-located in the bracket. My clutch pedal came with a spring (looks like a valve spring) at the top of the clutch pedal. Is this stock? I need to utilize the hole in the bracket for the new brake pedal. The spring bracket is bolted in the same hole that the new brake pedal must go. Can anyone shed some light on this? I could ad more length the the new brake pedal bolt and keep the spring bracket in place. Do I need this spring at the top? Can I use another return spring? All replies appreciated. Thanks..

Reply to
rick

That spring provides a slight assist to your de-clutching effort. The geometry is such that the spring is extended when the clutch pedal is at rest and it unextends (relaxes) as the pedal nears the floorboard.

If you're running a diaphragm pressure plate you can easily do without it. I have spent many 20 minute sessions at the SF Bay Bridge toll plaza, inching toward the toll booth and having to slip the clutch several times per minute, with no great fatigue. Even with a Borg & Beck pressure plate you can probably do without it.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

It's actually an over center spring. It helps when you press on the pedal and also holds the pedal up.

Al

Reply to
Big Al