87 Mustang GT help....

I have had my 87 Mustang GT now for a few months, but for some reason, like most 'Stang owners do, I feel the need for more speed. I am not very knowledgeable about these things, as I have never tried to fix a car up before. I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on what mods I should do to my car to make it faster, my car is all stock. I was thinking of getting new gears, maybe some 355s or

373s, but I read somewhere that although they increase acceleration, they also decrease top speed, I have no idea if this is true or not. Also I was thinking of a new exhaust and maybe a CAM.

-Rick

Reply to
DBZVegetaIII

Read this:

jmvannoy

I believe you can forget the cam on an 87. That car uses speed density calculations instead of a mass air flow meter.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Easily rectified.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Well....I think I have finally decided on a new exhaust system; however, I live in California. This is kind of a draw-back because of the several emission restrictions here. Does anyone know of a good exhaust and muffler combo that would add HP and also be compliant with CA laws?

-Rick

Reply to
DBZVegetaIII

with the 87 your system is called speed denisty. this sytem while robust really only works well with the stock "factory' set up. the parameters in the program don't adapt well to tweaks and changes. i beleive that both JBA and Borla make and exhaust system (cat back) that claim low end perfromance gains, however most dyno charts show the gains at high to wide open throttle settings. As you plain on mostly street usage the biggest bank for the buck so to speak is with a gear change i've found that

3.55 is optimal for the five speed cars 3.73 for the autos. the slight loss in top speed will not be noticed. converting your current system from S.D. to M.A. (Mass Air) is relatively easy now as many dealers are selling all inclusive kits in the $500.00 range. This will allow for more tinkering and still give very good drivability. on my 87 t-bird with no other mods i picked up 27 horses by converting to Mass Air and had a big impovement in throttle response and drivability.
Reply to
walt peifer