90 5.0 lx...on 5k$ budget

I have a 90 lx 5.0 convertible. It has a little over 100k miles on it. With a

5-6k$ budget I want to know what the best choice is to soup the car up. Im thinking possibly drop a new svo 320 hp engine in it since the engine is soo old...then some headers, a good torque converter and a exhaust system. Im also wondering how much it would cost to drop a new 5.0 in there...and weather all this is a good idea...possibly if I should just throw in new heads and intake? I dont know what to do...all advice is appreciated J.R.
Reply to
Msaret24

I used to build cars concentrating on the engine and transmission only. I've learned over time if your on a budget ( even if your not ) a real nice place to start is suspension and brakes. They are whopped just as bad as the rest of the car. If you have been taking care of your 2.3 I'd think it has many miles left in it at this point.

Your car would be much happier if you took care of the little details first, before plunging head first into speed stuff.

Just a thought

David

Reply to
Mustang GT

sorry I meant 5.0L :) I have 2.3 on the brain this afternoon

Reply to
Mustang GT

Aww were you thinking about me ;)

Reply to
John Wiebalk

ya thanks...that didnt help a all

Reply to
Msaret24

Here's what you do. Split your budget in half. Send one part to me, the other part to David.

No no no... seriously though. Forget about doing up the engine. Go pick up a 2 stage fogger system with dual tanks (Nawwwwwwws duuuuuuuuude). Go driving and hit roughly 75mph on the freeway, then drop it out of OD. After about a minute, arm the system, and go full throttle.

As you go spinning out of control (and probably head on into traffic - you would do that during traffic, wouldn't you?) because you're a moron who doesn't take advantage of the best advice he could've received, remember David's post in those last moments.

Don't ask for advice if you're not willing to listen. The guys (and gals) in here have years upon years of experience doing this shit. If you want to make the same mistakes that most of us have made at one time or another... well, hell, be my guest - but at least be courteous about it. David's advice is on par with my own, as well as most others in here. It's obviously not the answer you want to hear, we know that

- we all went through the same heartbreak and frustration as you once upon a time - but it IS the _best_ advice.

If you want to "soup" it up, then I'm sure the Honda guys have plenty of extra shopping cart handles and fart tips they'll be happy to peddle.

Where's my Dew?

Reply to
Matt

system. Im also

This may run about 5-7500, depending on whether you buy new or ebay.

Replace front brake calipers to the SVO Mustang front brake calipers. These are 73mm piston as opposed to 60mm piston stock Add HP Motorsport chassis brace including the lower chassis/K-member/G-load brace, subframe connectors and strut tower brace Replace existing struts and shocks with Koni adjustable struts and shocks Change rear end gears to 373 or 410 Replace headers with Hooker Super Competition 1 5-8in. Shorty Headers for 86-93 5.0L Replace upper intake and heads with Ford Motorsport GT-40 (part number M-6001-A50) intake and GT-40X aluminum head . Change Exhaust pipes to Dynomax UltaFlo or Flowmaster Force II's (both

2 1/2 chambers) Remove the air intake silencer Replace Mass Air Meter with Vortech/C+L 73mm unit Replace throttle body withthe Motorsport's 65mm TB and spacer (part number M-9926-A302 TB and M-9474-A50 for the spacer) Add an ASP Underdrive Pulley Set 1979-93 Mustang 5.0 3pc. Aluminum (Black) Add Moroso Cold air induction Add ZEX 75hp NOS system with pressure gauge

Remeber, upgrade the brakes and chassis and suspension first or when you go, you will either twist the frame to hell, snap something important or just wreck the car.

Chnage the rear end gears before the engine will let you realize the improvements. Remember, its not how many horses your engine has but how many actually get to your rear wheels and when.

You didnt specify stick or automatic so I left those mods out.

Matt

89 5.0 GT Vert
Reply to
Matt

his advice was good...I didnt like the advice from another guy, it wasnt directed at dave.

Reply to
Msaret24

its an automatic, Im thinking i probably need to get a better torque converter and a shift kit? otherwise I like your idea on the rest...however I need to have all this done with only 5k$ out the door...installed too...leaving any easy work for myself to do, as im pretty handy with tools. given this price range...is there anything I should leave out that you reccomend?

Reply to
Msaret24

What's a good up grade for the front brake rotors ??

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu