96 mustang 3.8

i bought this car and within 24 hours i lost all oil pressure, so i changed the oil pump. that wasnt the problem, the car will lose pressure then start knockin cause there isnt any oil getting to the motor, what could be the problem?

Reply to
kyfiremama

wow! are you SURE the pickup tube isnt cracked?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

what is the pickup tube? can u explain what i need to check or check out please. thanks

Reply to
kyfiremama

or clogged?

What did the inside of the engine look like? Sludgy? Clean?

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Sounds to me like the problem is the person you bought it from. In the same situation I would have brought it back to them.

Reply to
WindsorFox

That would be the tube that the pump sucks the oil through from down in the oil pan, but isn't that pat of the pump?

Reply to
WindsorFox

quote: ...in the 3.8 V6, on the other hand is on the 'outside' of the timing case cover, like the GM 3.8's. It's two interlocking gears that sit in a cavity that a plate bolts over. Four bolts, two gears and mine's done in about an hour ...... unquote

So changing the oil pump doesnt automatically allow inspection of the pickup. Have to pull the pan for that.

By the Way... this should have been posted in the alt.autos.ford Newsgroup it's a 'ford' systems problem

TalkAboutAutos doesnt allow crossposting, I tried.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Ancillary: IF the problem is sludge-clog, I bet this was a 'low-milage', high seat-wear car. Meaning a short-trip car and the previous owner was lax in maintenance.

OR was a commute car and the owner was both lax in maintenance and THEN went to Jiffy-Lube when he DID change oil.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote

Whoa there BYM, maybe the OP didn't know that, and it is still on topic since it IS a Mustang.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I aint throwing blame or scolding... it's just for future reference purposes

see my sig.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

So...tell her where the pressure bypass valve is and how to get at it.

see below. she has a weird problem

The point being that There's a couple other guys on there that dont come on here.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic